• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stripes on Barbers

7 posts in this topic

I have seen this before and suspect multiple causes are possible. More than once, I've bought a batch of silver coins wrapped in newspaper, and the lines of print can create those stripes. In fact, sometimes the text literally transfers to the coin(s) such that you can read it (in mirrored image, of course).

Some old albums that had one side of coin showing, used glue to hold the back sheet to the cardboard page with holes cut for coins. Some of these albums used glue over entire page, rather than just around holes. This glue sometimes had rubber as part of the glue material. You are seeing dark toning from the rubber in the glue holding the album together.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Whitman coin folders made prior to 1960 had the adhesive applied to the backing paper in either a complete coverage or a series of lines. As noted above, the adhesive tarnished the coins. Collector complaints prompted Whitman to apply the adhesive to the backs of the perforated cardboard instead, and there was thus no adhesive on the backing paper within the openings. Other brands of folders seem to have been prepared this way from the outset, so the tiger stripes were not an issue.

I had a couple of Franklins that had these 'tiger' stripes on the reverse...does it affect the grade, don't know as I sold them for melt.