• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Give me Libertad!

19 posts in this topic

It looks like it has many worn down places, damage like it got ran over sitting in the street, and maybe some corrosion as well as heavy evidence of cleaning on that one Obverse right hand side.

So I will go MS 68 DMPL

It looks like it has many worn down places, damage like it got ran over sitting in the street, and maybe some corrosion as well as heavy evidence of cleaning on that one Obverse right hand side.

So I will go MS 68 DMPL

If you want to be like that, go someplace else. CoinTalk is a good place for people like you.

If you honestly want to learn and be involved, please at least try to play nice.

How did you ever get into these? The more I look at this example, the more I like it.

At first glance, I wasn't sure about the surface, but I had to study it a bit and look at some other examples. Really cool example.

So I will go MS 68 DMPL

If you want to be like that, go someplace else.

Like what? The description or the fact that I didn't have a clue so I guessed something that would blow everyone out of the water if you revealed it to be that?

If it was the description then I wasn't trying to dog your coin. That is what I saw. And still see:

Mex_1.jpg

Mex_2.jpg

Maybe next time I should study the other coins for reference first since apparently they all look like that.

I still, however, wish to stick with my MS 68 DMPL

The design is pretty well hammered, and the surfaces look amazingly PL.

I'm on the MS64PL train. Given that it's not a huge coin, some of what I see could also be quite minimal in hand...it would not surprise me at all to see this in an MS65PL holder.

Lovely coin! Just out of curiosity, did NGC holder it with the reverse facing forward (the eagle is actually the obverse of this coin).

-brg

If you want to be like that, go someplace else. CoinTalk is a good place for people like you.

[font:Century Gothic] Not a problem! [/font]

Good guesses for almost everyone. This coin is graded 65PL - and it is holdered with the cap and rays on the front. I'm not sure which side is technically intended to be the obverse, but the side with the date is usually considered the obverse for most coins.

It fully deserves the 65PL in hand - my pictures don't show how clean and flashy this coin is. It is fully prooflike, with considerable die polish on the obverse. These coins were somewhat crudely made, so there is machine doubling on almost all devices. There is a subtle patina on both sides, covering a fairly strong strike.

I've been watching these Mexican PL's for a while now. The 8 reales is the most commonly found, but the 2 reales is available. I just couldn't justify the expense of an 8 reales right now, especially since these are a tangent from my actual PL set. I just thought it was cool for a decent price, so I picked it up.

Good guesses for almost everyone. This coin is graded 65PL - and it is holdered with the cap and rays on the front. I'm not sure which side is technically intended to be the obverse, but the side with the date is usually considered the obverse for most coins.

According to Krause, the eagle side is the obverse. I would say that the date-side being the obverse rule of thumb doesn't hold for the majority of world coins. Most British, Canadian, Italian, French, (and others) are dominated by reverses with the date (not the obverse).

I live about a mile from the Mexican Border in South Texas. Mexican Reales are hot down here. Excellent example. Some of the nicest rays I've seen on an 2 in a while. The hammered look is also pretty rare for an 2R. I agree with the 65PL grade.