• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP 1946 Walker comments and GTG

22 posts in this topic

New pickup. I've been looking for an original skin, well struck 46 Walker for awhile. How did I do? Comments and give an estimate of the grade.

1946WalkerO_zps072d224b.jpg

1946WalkerR_zpsd455a807.jpg

MS63 or MS64 based on what they said about my 1946, however with the worn wings, breast and numerous marks on Ms. Liberty I don't see how. But I bet it is at least that if not more.

Going to stick with MS64

If the luster is all there (I think it probably is, but cannot say this definitely from the photo), I would grade the coin MS66. If not, I could see a 65 or 65+. I like the coin very much, and you are right about the incredible strike on the coin.

I like this in a 65. It wouldn't bother me at 66. I like the color, nice original skin. Looks like a very nice strike. I've seen better hand definition but this one is definitely nice. The breast feathers are nice and fully formed. I think you got a winner there Carl.

I like this in a 65. It wouldn't bother me at 66. I like the color, nice original skin. Looks like a very nice strike. I've seen better hand definition but this one is definitely nice. The breast feathers are nice and fully formed. I think you got a winner there Carl.

I'll tell you what I saw in this coin. Important to add that coin is not in hand, I may be disappointed. Pics are from the Heritage site.

I compared this coin with various coins of the same grade that were available for viewing on the Heritage site as well as other sites. I would have loved to see the coin in hand, but the pics made me pull the trigger.

Obverse. Strong central strike. Well defined head, thumb and skirt lines. (I place a high value on a well defined head). If you look closely at the left hand, there are finger gaps. There are a few nicks in the skirt. There are what I define as mint voids on the right breast.

Reverse. A few minor ticks, no problem at all. I would have liked a touch better feather definition on the left leg but I'll live with it. And an original looking skin on both sides.

I'll post the grade tomorrow.

Carl

I don't see how in the world that got a MS67. I give up..... Worn on the legs,breast, and wing tips like that. Marks on the skirt.

And a MS67 ???

I don't see how in the world that got a MS67. I give up..... Worn on the legs,breast, and wing tips like that. Marks on the skirt.

And a MS67 ???

Assuming it did grade MS67, the large photos could have exaggerated the marks. Based on the images, I would stick with MS66.

It graded a 67. There are only 41 NGC's at MS67 and that $1,690.00 coin is one of them. I am mystified.

It must look 10 times better in person.

And a MS67 ???

I realize that you are new to the forum, but not good form to check the grade from online sources then post your findings and spoil the reveal. This forum is for learning me, you and everyone else. Post how ever you wish, just offering a suggestion.

You may have a dispute with the grade assigned, that's your prerogative. We all often disagree with assigned grades. I happen to agree with NGC. After a lot of research and viewing pics, that's why I bought the coin.

Please take time to check other coins of this type and grade on the Heritage site and other sites. Hard to be sure from pics, but I would be interested in your thoughts of how the coin posted compares to other 1946 MS67 Walkers that you examine.

Carl

I realize that you are new to the forum, but not good form to check the grade from online sources then post your findings and spoil the reveal. This forum is for learning me, you and everyone else. Post how ever you wish, just offering a suggestion.

Point taken. I apologize however you stating just where to find it (Heritage Auction) I figured it was open game.

Please take time to check other coins of this type and grade on the Heritage site and other sites. Hard to be sure from pics, but I would be interested in your thoughts of how the coin posted compares to other 1946 MS67 Walkers that you examine.

Carl

I have and did before I posted that. I guess everyone's interpretation is different in comparison pictures. It would seem that every one will agree with that grade for that coin so it basically just comes down to either needing new glasses or understanding what to look for that the ANA Guide does not mention. Or what I should disregard in what the guide says.

Either way it is of no consequence what I think of the coin or the grade. The coin is what you wanted and that is all that matters. It just makes it more difficult for someone new to understand how to approximate grades when presented with such, respectfully, in my opinion.

Point taken. I apologize however you stating just where to find it (Heritage Auction) I figured it was open game.

Carl

I have and did before I posted that. I guess everyone's interpretation is different in comparison pictures. It would seem that every one will agree with that grade for that coin so it basically just comes down to either needing new glasses or understanding what to look for that the ANA Guide does not mention. Or what I should disregard in what the guide says.

Either way it is of no consequence what I think of the coin or the grade. The coin is what you wanted and that is all that matters. It just makes it more difficult for someone new to understand how to approximate grades when presented with such, respectfully, in my opinion.

No worries, just keep on getting in the trenches and giving your opinions. Keep working at it. That is exactly how I and everyone else here learned about grading coins.

Don't forget, some very good collectors gave this coin a MS66 at best.

Carl

I will add that someone had mentioned that with it being a close up shot like it was I was being to critical as I was able to see things that just do not take the entire coin in account. Eye appeal, strike, etc...

I think that the coin looks much better and more impressive now that you have zoomed out a bit. That is a very nice Half that you got. The shots on the summary page for AH also make that coin look more deserving.

One of only 41 coins graded MS67 by NGC. That has got to feel pretty dang good. (thumbs u

Wdrob, I have to agree with Carl in that it was poor form. It kinda sounded like sour grapes from you in the fact that you even suggested that how could that coin receive a 67 when the coin you recently showed got such a bashing.

The fact is, the coin Carl posted is a quality coin, and the bashing you think you received was us trying to educate you into not wasting your money.

We all think our coins are a bit better than what everyone else thinks, including myself. I've made many, many mistakes but when others try to educate me, I take it with a grain of salt and two grains of reality.

All the best to you and your collecting. I will recommend one thing for you though, please take the advice of the people here, they/we will not steer you wrong.

It kinda sounded like sour grapes from you in the fact that you even suggested that how could that coin receive a 67 when the coin you recently showed got such a bashing.

You were correct on every point you made save this one. I never once compared this coin to mine (correct me if I am wrong) and I only thought that the coin I bought was possibly a 63 or 64. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I bought and had in my hands a MS67 coin for the massive price of $38.00 and free shipping.

It would stand to reason that if I thought the coin I had may be a 63 or 64 and in fact was advised that it would be more of a 62 if it received a grade at all, then the coin Carl presented must be in the 64 or 65 range.

I think what you perceived as 'Sour Grapes' was actually astonishment, amazement, and general dis-belief. I will have to work harder at conveying my actual intent maybe through the increased use of emoticons.

Thanks for the well wishes and I will try to exercise more candor control and use more tact in the future.

Getting back to the coin - I'm kinda surprised it got a 67, but we are grading from large pics. In hand it may be a clear winner. The flaws that I see have most likely been exaggerated - and the picture is not showing us the luster at all. If the luster is killer, this could easily get a 67.

Good purchase, Carl, I'm sure it will be a nice addition to your set!

And a MS67 ???

What you are seeing is not wear , that is how they were struck .

Here are two examples of an MS 67 . The photo does not do justice to the 1941 - D .

I would have guessed the subject coin was at least Ms 66 . Ms 67 looks good to me for this coin .

135955.jpg.cff958058878c7c28b97b734cf68101f.jpg

135956.jpg.211a62aaea363e71bea6c569125e2278.jpg

It's a VERY nice coin.

The smooth fields, good strike (in all areas) make it, at least, a 66 in my book.

I wouldn't have graded it a 67, though, because of the marks on the breast. I like it as a 66, myself, although I have seen a few market graded 67s with similar markings.

I don't think the coin is 100% original but it does display very good luster.

I would have NO PROBLEM owning it.