• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this how the USPS will save 5 bil per year?

54 posts in this topic

One local post office was very friendly. I packed a registered box and asked where I can buy paper tape, and the clerk handed me a roll for free! I guess you can run into all types of people. This example probably was having a bad day.

I don't what BRG does. I get the label online, print it and put it in the Priority box at home. I go to the PO to hand it to them and get a receipt. Easy and fast.

I just wish everyone else who comes into the PO would do that...there would be a lot less waiting in line. People should prepare better....

jom

I agree. I can't count the number of times I have been delayed at the post office by people who are unprepared and don't know what they are doing.

That said, I believe that the OP is correct. The boxes and tape are supposed to be free for Priority Mail packages. At my post office, they have separate tape that actually has Priority Mail printed on it. You can only use it on Priority Mail envelopes and boxes and it is free. If you ask for regular clear packing tape, they will not give it to you, but they will sell it to you.

I followed the free shipping supplies link, MUMU and see priority envelopes, priority labels, priority stickers, priority boxes - just no free tape.

I also see where I can purchase bubble/cushion wrap, packing tape, envelopes which I would consider shipping supplies that can be used for any shipping (not specifically priority).

Maybe the reason you get so upset is because you are wrong, and do not see it. I suggest calling/writing your Congress people to have them look into your issues.

He's not wrong. The USPS just changed the way they give the free tape. They used to give you free rolls. Now if you need tape to seal a Priority or Express mail package, they will give it to you to use while at the counter. I know they will as I've seen it happen many times.

Actually, if you have a good relationship with the clerk, they may give you a roll. You can also call the USPS supplies department and convince them to give you some rolls.

I followed the free shipping supplies link, MUMU and see priority envelopes, priority labels, priority stickers, priority boxes - just no free tape.

I also see where I can purchase bubble/cushion wrap, packing tape, envelopes which I would consider shipping supplies that can be used for any shipping (not specifically priority).

Maybe the reason you get so upset is because you are wrong, and do not see it. I suggest calling/writing your Congress people to have them look into your issues.

Yea free for 800 shipments but suddenly wrong because of 1 cranky old lady whos workmate even disagreed w her. They have even run TV ads mentioning free tape and boxes and other ppl here have gotten free tape as well. EvillageProwler even gets rent money from them. Why dont you go write...err GFY

Ill-tempered whiner who can't read correctly.

EVP

What does "Mumu's track record" have anything to do with this? I felt that comment was uncalled for.

It's called perspective, or knowing the author for frame of reference. Whiners tend to whine. There are those who feel entitled about every little petty thing, and will blow things out of proportion.

EVP

For those who clearly may not know, tape is one of the supplies listed as free for all priority mailings as per the USPS website.

link?

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

Priority Mail Flat Rate

With free shipping supplies

Laels and tapes = free supplies. You used even be able to get the rolls of the tape shipped to your house for free with the boxes. I can understand stopping that, but a 6 inch strip to seal the top flap of a box?

Used your link. Saw Priority but nothing about tape or free tape.

This is what is at YOUR link YOU gave:

Priority Mail Flat Rate

With free shipping supplies, Flat Rate options, and no weighing or calculating, Priority Mail Flat Rate® service is a simpler way to ship. And with delivery in about 2 days, Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes are fast and affordable.

Features

•No weighing or calculating needed

•Delivery within 2 to 3 days in most cases

•Free Package Pickup**

•Free USPS Tracking™ when you ship online and at retail

•Saturday delivery and residential delivery at no extra cost

Nothing about tape. Now, that doesn't mean that they don't have some there and aren't willing to help folks, which may have been what you were getting. However, sometimes not everyone wants to help whiny/grumpy/argumentative people who give off negative vibes. Not saying that's you, but from how YOU even give YOUR side of the story, I can't imagine anything but that.

Yes, 800+ packages over the years. So, you would think that you would be better prepared, right? I ship less than 20/year and I have my own tape, boxes at my house (if I run out, I go get them but still have my own tape), etc.

Now, the gals and guys at my post office HAVE helped with tape. If it is busy, they slide it over the counter and have me do it (including registered tape). If it isn't busy, they do it for me.

There's only been 1 person I ever had a problem with there and that was a guy who gave my $4000+ express package to someone who came in for a different package (different name/address, but "it was close"). I got it back rather quickly since I went down there in person and the other folks know me.

So, back to the point and the original post.....I think you should be better prepared. I think your negativity about the post office is overboard in this case, and I think you whining to the person in charge about this was just that...whining.

Like EVP, I have recognized when the folks I come into contact with are doing their job and doing it well. I give my carrier a gift card (starbucks, etc) and/or cookies at Christmas. I tell the folks at the post office building "thank you" and "have a great day".

I don't try to make their jobs harder or hold up the line because that just makes EVERYONE cranky.

He's not wrong. The USPS just changed the way they give the free tape. They used to give you free rolls. Now if you need tape to seal a Priority or Express mail package, they will give it to you to use while at the counter. I know they will as I've seen it happen many times.

Actually, if you have a good relationship with the clerk, they may give you a roll. You can also call the USPS supplies department and convince them to give you some rolls.

These snobs wont care that I am right, no matter how many people concur(5 now) that the tape was in fact free forever for priority mail. The same JOs would rag on me if I posted I lost a coin because the box opened up in transit(they would point out that tape is free for priority and why wouldnt I use it)..the goal here is to dismiss reality for the purpose of jumping down someone's throat as is done in just about every thread around here lately. Would love to see how tough talking some of these guys are off the net.

did you ask for the special case red priority tape or just expect regular shipping tape?

I am not sure if they can, but if I was postmaster, I would ban you from that facility...

Here are my observations and thoughts:

(1) I have sent out several Priority Mail packages in the past, and have always asked that they be reinforced with tape. I have never been charged for this service.

(2) While I understand why the OP may have been surprised, I wouldn't have started a contest/argument with the clerk of my Post Office. It is never worth it, and they can be very passive aggressive to you in the future about things much more important than tape.

(3) I am absolutely shocked that a thread about postage tape has received 38 replies so far, and has been so contentious.

With regards to the comments posted this far:

Used your link. Saw Priority but nothing about tape or free tape.

This is what is at YOUR link YOU gave:

Priority Mail Flat Rate

With free shipping supplies, Flat Rate options, and no weighing or calculating, Priority Mail Flat Rate® service is a simpler way to ship. And with delivery in about 2 days, Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes are fast and affordable.

Features

Tape is clearly a mailing supply. When coupled with their history of handing out said tape for free, I can understand why the OP would believe the tape was free. I agree with his conclusion that the tape is supposedly free, but I would not have started an argument with the clerk or the post master.

Don't we all know Mumu's track record already?

I've had great experiences with my PO, including one instance where someone actually put in money for me so my delivery wouldn't have had to wait until after the weekend.

When we first moved in, my carrier drove up, waved to us, welcomed us to the neighborhood and offered to help us make sure that our mail gets re-routed correctly.

On average, the service I get is basic. I get my mail when I get it. I get my packages when I get them. I wave to my carrier; my carrier waves back.

I like my PO so much that I give money each year during the Christmas holiday season. It's not a large sum of money, but I want those folks to know that at least one person appreciates them.

EVP

You cannot judge the entire postal system by your experience with the Post Office. Although I have never fought with my Post Office over supplies, they regularly lose my packages, or at least have difficulty finding them when I go to sign for them. The postal system at large is in a state of disarray. While this reflects my observation, I am not the only one to conclude this. I am close to an individual who is very familiar with the inner workings of the USPS including higher management that will confirm my observations have some merit.

What does "Mumu's track record" have anything to do with this? I felt that comment was uncalled for.

I agree.

did you ask for the special case red priority tape or just expect regular shipping tape?

I am not sure if they can, but if I was postmaster, I would ban you from that facility...

Someone should ban you here, you are a worthless argument starter.

I clearly asked for the priority tape as I know that is the free one. She said it wasnt tape, that it was a marker for the carriers to know it was priority. I pointed out that the box was clearly a marker in and of itself since it says PRIORITY MAIL all over it and that the scanning is what ultimately determines the type of mail anyway. She then stopped for a moment to tell the girl next to her that she shouldnt spend more than 5 minutes with a customer(at this point there was no one in line yet so she was just be a hardass with her as she was with me).

I clearly asked for the priority tape as I know that is the free one. She said it wasnt tape, that it was a marker for the carriers to know it was priority. I pointed out that the box was clearly a marker in and of itself since it says PRIORITY MAIL all over it and that the scanning is what ultimately determines the type of mail anyway. She then stopped for a moment to tell the girl next to her that she shouldnt spend more than 5 minutes with a customer(at this point there was no one in line yet so she was just be a hardass with her as she was with me).

We can not comprehend what you think, just what you write. Your first post was not very clear, as it did not mention priority tape - lust free tape for you, and everyone behind you should wait until you get it.

We can not comprehend what you think, just what you write. Your first post was not very clear, as it did not mention priority tape - lust free tape for you, and everyone behind you should wait until you get it.

Well priority labled tape has been free for years. You either know that or you dont. If you know that, then its easy to deduce with my mention of the priority shipment that this is the tape I must be asking about. I cannot know what YOU know and do not know. 6 other people in this thread know about the free priority tape. So I deserve to be attacked the way you and EvilLurchProwler did? Or maybe you should not speak about which you do not know about.

Ive seen a few color variations, this one below is the most common Ive seen. They used to mail rolls of this to your house for free along with the boxes. But if you used it on any other kind of shipment they would charge you for priority mail. Once you had anything on it that said priority, you had to pay for it.

o_tape.jpg

December 7, 2006. H.R. 6407 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act introduced by the Lame Duck 109th congress.

December 8, 2006. Passed the House by a show of hand vote.

December 9, 2006. Passed the Senate by a show of hand vote.

December 20, 2006. Signed by President.

The “Act” mandates the Postal Service to fully pre-fund (starting in 2007) within 10 years its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years.

The USPS has been mandated to pre fund benefits for employees that have yet to be born.

----------------------------------

I've never had an issue with my free priority boxes not sealing well.

Sending 800 to 1000 small flat rate over the years could have saved you $520 to $650 over the years if you'd have printed the labels on-line instead of wasting time at the PO in the quest for free tape to go along with the free boxes.

Priority Mail® Small Flat Rate Box

Expected DeliveryWed, Mar 27 Post Office Price$5.80 Online Price$5.15

Self-adhesive shipping labels are also "supplies", do you expect those to be free too?

Since you've not said otherwise, I have a feeling that you do print your shipping labels on-line and have saved the $'s.

Pull up your big boy pants and buy some tape, try leaving some pennies in the "need one, leave one" cup too.

Self-adhesive shipping labels are also "supplies", do you expect those to be free too?

Actually, those are free. If you look on the USPS website, you can still order the Priority Mail shipping labels at no cost. You can order the boxes too.

Edited to add: I can certainly understand the sentiment of many posters in saying that they would not have argued with USPS or would have prepared their own packages at home, but I cannot understand why everyone is attacking the OP for wanting the tape for free. They did offer free shipping supplies and even advertised supplies as part of the service that he was paying for. I do not disagree with him that he is is correct in what he says, although as I stated, I would have handled things differently.

Actually, those are free. If you look on the USPS website, you can still order the Priority Mail shipping labels at no cost. You can order the boxes too.

These free labels are not for Click n Ship. They won't work in a printer and you don't need them when you use the free Priority boxes. Just hand write the address on the box instead of the label.

LABEL%20228-01-main-350x270.jpg

------------------------------------------------

These are for use with a printer and can be used with any Click n Ship mailing option.

841812-01-main-270x350.jpg

This is a pack of 25 Click–N–Ship® Single Labels (1 labels per page with receipt)/Shipping Assistant™ Double Labels (2 labels per page, no receipt).

$9.00

-------------------------------------

You can still get these for free. Order them on-line, they even ship them to you for free. Use them as tape if you need.

LABEL%20106-01-main-350x270.jpg

Ship your packages using your own packaging item along with this Priority Mail decal. This decal effectively identifies your piece as Priority Mail, and therefore, urgent in nature. Just apply and ship. These labels come in pads of 10.

------------------------------------------------

The PO clerk was correct. The Priority tape and labels are meant for Non-Priority Boxes that are being sent as Priority Mail to identify them as such.

Like the tape was, these are intended for use on packages using your own boxes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-rolls-vintage-PRIORITY-MAIL-TAPE-shipping-packing-2-inch-No-longer-made-NR-/330894576172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0ada8a2c

Note the part where in says "No-longer-made"...

but I cannot understand why everyone is attacking the OP for wanting the tape for free.

"Attacking" is quite an overstatement, IMO. Let's not forget that it's the OP who started using "GFY" and "JO" while no one else has used any profanity whatsoever.

Moreover, it's not like there's a concerted effort to take an opposing view of the OP's. It just so happened that more than one or two folks disagreed with the OP, and expressed it. The OP, in response to contrarian viewpoints, uttered profanity. It's an Internet forum, where anyone can say pretty much anything. What did the contrarian posters do that was at the level of attacking?

EVP

Hmmmm….Will Shakespeare wrote a play about this. I can’t recall if it was “Much Ado About Nothing” or “Hamlet, Prince of Denmark.”

rediculous thread

yes, priority tape is free to use at the post office

but really, 45 yards of wide clear packing/sealing tape is $1 at the dollar store

The tape was, indeed, free for quite some time after they introduced the "free" priority supplies program in the late 90's. The problem came when people were ordering the tape by the droves, and using it for things other than what it was supposed to be used for. People would just use it on packing boxes, storage boxes, etc, things they had no intention of ever mailing.

Around about 2006-2007, they stopped including it in the "free supplies." That was also around the time they started printing "Priority Use Only" on the inside of packages, because people were turning them inside out to use them (same with Express mail.)

You can still get it from your local PO, but it's dicey. The stickers are what I use now, they're still free, and I order them by "the big roll." Not quite as convenient as the tape, but hey, it's free. I do use standard packing tape on the lids of my boxes, because those have a tendency to become unsealed, especially in hot weather.

And this is why they discontinued it. These are free supplies that someone got...for free...that they don't own, and have no business selling. They are rightfully the property of the USPS.

Wow, get stuff free and sell it on eBay for $6-$10 / roll. Almost seems like a bad business idea to give stuff like that away. I also remember the early cardboard boxes had no writing on the inside - people would turn them inside out and use then for shipping parcel post.

I apologize MUMU if your short temper gets you heated up. I can not even count the number of hours of my life have been wasted waiting behind people doing things very similar to what you did, and are proud of...