• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this how the USPS will save 5 bil per year?

54 posts in this topic

I shipped a sale last week and I used the small priority box as I have a million times. I always ask for the tape to do a seal since the adhesive doesnt seem so good on these. Lady says that will be extra. I tell her "supplies" are free with all priority mail shipments and that includes the tape. She makes a huge deal about it and refuses to give me any. I told her I have shipped 800-1000 boxes this way over the years and have never been refused tape before. SHe even asked her co-worker who confirmed she has given it out t for free. She finally bad moods some tape onto the box. Took over 5 minutes and the line was forming behind me. I asked to speak to the post master. She made every one wait Another 5 minutes. Post master comes out and she half condescendingly apologizes and talks me down for another 5 minutes thought I was in no way irate, just clarifying my past experiences. She sites recent cut backs as the reason they dont handidly give out the tape anymore. I tell her its this bad customer service that needs to be cut back if they want to get back to profitability. I have to go there again in the morning, cant wait to see what fun awaits me this time.

I print my labels at home, and tape my packages up there also. That way you don't have to stand in line or argue with an postal employees. No need to get snooty with a postal worker who was only obviously doing what they were told to do from someone higher up.

Do you also throw a fit everytime they raise postage rates? When costs increase, things can't always stay the same. Either the prices must go up, or policies that have "always been that way" are modified. That's life.

rantrant

Lest you not forget those still actually working for the USPS are walking on egg shells hoping there are not more cut-backs. One of the reasons the USPS is in such bad shape is because all of the retiree pensions are breaking the system. When a company (any company) focuses on meeting the demands of those who aren't doing any of the work anymore (i.e., pensioners), only to neglect their current work force, only bad things can follow. The same thing happened to GM. A big Thank You (insert sarcasm) to the US Congress for making this more of an issue in the past 5 years by increasing the percent at which pensions must be funded, while at the same time decreasing the interest rates to the lowest levels in history (which has the side effect of requiring pensions to be funded with ridiculously high levels of cold-hard-cash).

I always keep a good supply of all sizes of flat-rate boxes at home and that is where I do all of my packaging. If you've shipped that many packages, perhaps you should do the same and buy some packing tape as well. I've seen the cost for flat-rate service go up a few times within the last 2-3 years while the boxes have gotten smaller and maybe, just maybe, it is because some customers expect too many freebies.

Anybody remember when the air pump for your tires used to be free?

Chris

Employees in declining businesses tend to be stressed and maybe "snippy." Balance that against all the "million times" when everything was fine, and then move on.

Postal managers can’t control their business thanks to Congressional meddling.

I have never gotten tape there. I get my priority boxes in bundles of 10 delivered. I have scales and print labels / package at home.

If you have sent millions of small priority boxes, I would think they would open a special window for you every time you enter.

Pensions are only killing USPS because Congress decided a few years ago that they need to prefund pensions for the next 50 years. Something like 8 billion a year being put into the pension fund for all present and future hires. I love Congress do as I say, not as I do thinking.

The people at my post office know me by name, and are always very nice.

However, if I were to have an experience like that, I may strongly consider using another shipping service, just to make a point.

However, if I were to have an experience like that, I may strongly consider using another shipping service, just to make a point.

I doubt the average employee would care about your point even if you are a famous shipper.

You and the op should splurge a couple of bucks for tape and get over it.

At least based on the way it is described, the "experience" is mostly created by the OP. The postal worker was doing their job. To escalate the issue of tape usage to the Postmaster is laughable.

For what it costs, I'm still amazed that I can send a package anywhere in the US in 2 days for $5.15 in a small flat rate box. UPS, FedEx, DHL -- none can compete with that price point. Is the nickel's worth of tape going to break you? Buy your own damned tape! :devil:

At least based on the way it is described, the "experience" is mostly created by the OP. The postal worker was doing their job. To escalate the issue of tape usage to the Postmaster is laughable.

For what it costs, I'm still amazed that I can send a package anywhere in the US in 2 days for $5.15 in a small flat rate box. UPS, FedEx, DHL -- none can compete with that price point. Is the nickel's worth of tape going to break you? Buy your own damned tape! :devil:

If I had the experience at a PO like the OP did, I would never go to that branch again.

If I had the experience at a PO like the OP did, I would never go to that branch again.

I repeat again...the "experience" (i.e., drama) was created by the OP. NOT the post office. Do you seriously think that a little issue like tape is worth escalating to the post master? Good grief.

Don't we all know Mumu's track record already?

I've had great experiences with my PO, including one instance where someone actually put in money for me so my delivery wouldn't have had to wait until after the weekend.

When we first moved in, my carrier drove up, waved to us, welcomed us to the neighborhood and offered to help us make sure that our mail gets re-routed correctly.

On average, the service I get is basic. I get my mail when I get it. I get my packages when I get them. I wave to my carrier; my carrier waves back.

I like my PO so much that I give money each year during the Christmas holiday season. It's not a large sum of money, but I want those folks to know that at least one person appreciates them.

EVP

I repeat again...the "experience" (i.e., drama) was created by the OP. NOT the post office. Do you seriously think that a little issue like tape is worth escalating to the post master? Good grief.

No, I don't. That's why the postal worker should have just given him some tape. This isn't rocket science here.

In the city where I live, the Post Office has two locations, the main branch in mid-town and the old branch in downtown where I have my PO box. My only complaint about the USPS is that not always are the policies followed in the same fashion from one location to another.

For example, on one occasion I was shipping a registered package to NGC from the mid-town branch, and for the address, I just used the initials, NGC. On another occasion, I was also shipping a registered package to NGC from the downtown branch, and the clerk told me that I must write out the full name of the addressee. I really don't care to advertise that I'm shipping coins by writing the full name of the addressee, but there was no point in arguing with a clerk. Yes, I made my point to her but proceeded to comply.

I also had a clerk at one branch tell me that the reinforced shipping tape for registered mail need only cover the seams of a box or envelope, but a clerk at another branch said that I must cover the entire package.

I know that rules are rules, but I sure wish they would make up their mind which rule we should follow and stick to it.

Chris

Let me get the whole community riled up.

Poor customer service is a direct result of Managers demanding that attention be paid to priorities they think are important that have nothing to do with actual customer service. Charging suddenly for things that previously were free is an excellent example.

All across America there are people clamoring about the size of government and the overspending of the past, leading to cutbacks now. The sequester cuts are just beginning to show some effects. And while this issue is different, it's similar.

Two observations:

1. If you think government wastes money and should be reduced in size, you don't get to complain about the consequences of any cuts made.

2. Get use to it, it's not getting better any time soon.

My 2 cents.

"save billions at the usps? start cutting the carp at middle management/upper management. just saying."

OK. Can you describe the present USPS management structure so we can better understand what changes could cut costs wile maintaining services?

"save billions at the usps? start cutting the carp at middle management/upper management. just saying."

OK. Can you describe the present USPS management structure so we can better understand what changes could cut costs wile maintaining services?

:popcorn:

Someone sure is a drama queen....making a mountain out of a mole hill!

I am sure the OP was a hero to the folks waiting in line behind him for such an important thing to complain about.

If one is shipping 800+ packages prior, maybe one should have some supplies and buck up?

I don't what BRG does. I get the label online, print it and put it in the Priority box at home. I go to the PO to hand it to them and get a receipt. Easy and fast.

I just wish everyone else who comes into the PO would do that...there would be a lot less waiting in line. People should prepare better....

jom

Don't we all know Mumu's track record already?

I've had great experiences with my PO, including one instance where someone actually put in money for me so my delivery wouldn't have had to wait until after the weekend.

When we first moved in, my carrier drove up, waved to us, welcomed us to the neighborhood and offered to help us make sure that our mail gets re-routed correctly.

On average, the service I get is basic. I get my mail when I get it. I get my packages when I get them. I wave to my carrier; my carrier waves back.

I like my PO so much that I give money each year during the Christmas holiday season. It's not a large sum of money, but I want those folks to know that at least one person appreciates them.

EVP

Youre getting monetary handouts at your PO like a homeless bum, I cant even get a strip of tape. Of course we are going to have different views of their service.

For those who clearly may not know, tape is one of the supplies listed as free for all priority mailings as per the USPS website.

I must be missing something. Why would someone expect someone else to supply tape for their package? Becaus they gave them tape before? Well they used to give place settings with gas purchases, towels in your laundry detergent, and the bank gave away small appliances but I don't expect them to continue doing it. It's your package provide what you need to close it up and keep it closed yourself. The USPS is in the business of delivering packages, not wrapping them.

For those who clearly may not know, tape is one of the supplies listed as free for all priority mailings as per the USPS website.

link?

link?

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

Priority Mail Flat Rate

With free shipping supplies

Laels and tapes = free supplies. You used even be able to get the rolls of the tape shipped to your house for free with the boxes. I can understand stopping that, but a 6 inch strip to seal the top flap of a box?

Different post offices vary so much, it's rediculous. A few weeks ago, one branch told me the postal service no longer makes medium flat rate boxes. Some carry fragile stickers, while others have a stamper, that's usually out of ink. I have picked up customs declarations for a specific box size, and then told I need a different one, when mailed at a different branch. I have been told I am not allowed to tape the ends of priority boxes as well. :facepalm:

I followed the free shipping supplies link, MUMU and see priority envelopes, priority labels, priority stickers, priority boxes - just no free tape.

I also see where I can purchase bubble/cushion wrap, packing tape, envelopes which I would consider shipping supplies that can be used for any shipping (not specifically priority).

Maybe the reason you get so upset is because you are wrong, and do not see it. I suggest calling/writing your Congress people to have them look into your issues.

I followed the free shipping supplies link, MUMU and see priority envelopes, priority labels, priority stickers, priority boxes - just no free tape.

I also see where I can purchase bubble/cushion wrap, packing tape, envelopes which I would consider shipping supplies that can be used for any shipping (not specifically priority).

Maybe the reason you get so upset is because you are wrong, and do not see it. I suggest calling/writing your Congress people to have them look into your issues.

Yea free for 800 shipments but suddenly wrong because of 1 cranky old lady whos workmate even disagreed w her. They have even run TV ads mentioning free tape and boxes and other ppl here have gotten free tape as well. EvillageProwler even gets rent money from them. Why dont you go write...err GFY