• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the highest slab premium ever paid?

46 posts in this topic

Well I don't know what a MS-65 1935 S San Diego is worth, but I have seen at least two NGC 1 holders sell for premiums in the $3,100 to $3,200 range so this isn't a record.......yet.

I remember bidding on a black slab NGC Morgan a few years back & getting blown out of the water. At the time, I wasn't aware of the premium that these holders were realizing at auction & I thought the final hammer price HAD to be a mistake. At the time, an NGC MS64 1891-o Morgan was going for around $550 to $600. I was studying the coin, trying to see if it was undergraded or had some super rare undiscovered VAM, but it was the plastic all along.The one I got outbid on went for over $4k. AND THE SLAB HAD A CRACK IN IT!!!! I'd still like to own a black slab, but I just can't see paying that kind of premium. Besides, I'm happy with the crusty 1891-o that I have in my collection.

$4000+

1891oblacklabelobv-horz_zpscf353341.jpg

$650

1891ocombo.jpg

I need some black paint and I can be rich! :banana:

I'm really sorry for the family's of the guys who are paying that high of the premium for plastic.

I remember bidding on a black slab NGC Morgan a few years back & getting blown out of the water. At the time, I wasn't aware of the premium that these holders were realizing at auction & I thought the final hammer price HAD to be a mistake. At the time, an NGC MS64 1891-o Morgan was going for around $550 to $600. I was studying the coin, trying to see if it was undergraded or had some super rare undiscovered VAM, but it was the plastic all along.The one I got outbid on went for over $4k. AND THE SLAB HAD A CRACK IN IT!!!! I'd still like to own a black slab, but I just can't see paying that kind of premium. Besides, I'm happy with the crusty 1891-o that I have in my collection.

$4000+

1891oblacklabelobv-horz_zpscf353341.jpg

$650

1891ocombo.jpg

I'd take yours over that one ANY day.

A common date morgan ms65 sold for just over 5k on teletrade about a year and a half ago. I would love to own one but the premiums are ridiculous.

Nick

I'm really sorry for the family's of the guys who are paying that high of the premium for plastic.

I do not see much (if any) difference in literally paying this type of premium for the plastic than the thousands or even tens of thousands of instances where buyers pay astronomical premiums for "conditional rarities" where the observable difference with the next lower grade is completely trivial. Neither make any sense at all.

I do not see much (if any) difference in literally paying this type of premium for the plastic than the thousands or even tens of thousands of instances where buyers pay astronomical premiums for "conditional rarities" where the observable difference with the next lower grade is completely trivial. Neither make any sense at all.

Without commenting on how wise or unwise ether scenario is, I see a huge difference. In one case, a huge premium is being paid for the rarity of the holder, itself - apples. While in the other, the premium is due to the quality and/or appeal of the coin - oranges. ;)

I don't even know why you'd bother CAC'ing that one. To me it almost detracts from the slab, which is the important part. You really think someone is going to pay more because CAC agrees with the grade? Seriously?

ill feel sorry when the guy dies and the family price guides a 150$ coin to sell

ill feel sorry when the guy dies and the family price guides a 150$ coin to sell

That would be the fault of the owner not taking care of his estate before death....not because the type of purchase this was. This could happen with anything. Maybe if he had bought an 1804 dollar and the family later could have sold it for bullion. Who knows?

I agree with world colonial on this as well as Mark. Sure one is a premium for an old slab and another would be an example of condition rarity for a coin but I don't know if this kind of thing is foolish. Hell I don't know if the premiums I pay for grade or color is foolish. But the facts are these slabs are going for big dough...just like those doily holders. It's worth whatever two or more knowledgeable collectors are willing to pay. I'm not going to go out and pay for any of this but I'm not going to go out and pay big money for a comic book either. That's just me. I collect coins...to each their own.

jom

Why? These slabs are very rare and very popular and their value seems to be increasing.

I don't even know why you'd bother CAC'ing that one. To me it almost detracts from the slab, which is the important part. You really think someone is going to pay more because CAC agrees with the grade? Seriously?

My thoughts exactly. Why desecrate a black first generation NGC slab with some sticker?

That's why you need to include a note with the coin explaining the very high value of the slab above the value of the coin.

The census on these slabs is 27. Grand total. They are obviously a collectable onto themselves. That San Diego just came along for the ride. Lot's of things are desirable for their packaging rather then what's on the inside.

MJ

The census on these slabs is 27. Grand total.

I'm not sure where you got this number from, but I'd be stunned if only 27 of these slabs still existed. I bet there are a quite a few of them out there owned by collectors or ex-collectors that don't know they are valuable.

The census on these slabs is 27. Grand total.

I'm not sure where you got this number from, but I'd be stunned if only 27 of these slabs still existed. I bet there are a quite a few of them out there owned by collectors or ex-collectors that don't know they are valuable.

[/quote

I think you are right.

The census on these slabs is 27. Grand total. They are obviously a collectable onto themselves. That San Diego just came along for the ride. Lot's of things are desirable for their packaging rather then what's on the inside.

MJ

Not sure I would call a thread on a forum making a roll call on a small sample of collectors a "census"

I was at the Baltimore show Saturday and spent a considerable amount of time checking dealer cases. I didn't see a single first generation NGC black slab so I consider them fairly rare. I saw quite a few high relief Saints and several Pan Pac $50 gold coins so these coins apparently are far more common. Don't forget that supply is only one side of the supply-demand equation. The prices they are bringing in the marketplace says it all.

Well I'd say we have a new record, around $4,100 premium for the holder. I have to admit every time I see something like this I sit back and wonder "What have I done? ."

And if you look at the bidding on that holder there were about 8 serious bidders on it and five of them were very serious so there is still apparently a serious market demand for them among collectors.

Great collections also sold a PCGS 9 Regency holder yesterday, did anyone catch the final price it sold for? It is the big money holder in the PCGS slabs. Not as big as the NGC 1 but a serious premium.

Found it, It is down some, I have seen several of this set sell in the $800 range.

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/105087/Israel-1958-Silver-5-Lirot-PCGS-MS-66-Speciman-Coin-325363-PCGS-Green-Regency-Holder

The coin in this set is worth around $22. Danny Kay was a big supporter of Israel and bought a lot of their commemoratives. He had something like 267 examples of this coin and when they sold his estate they put all of them in these Regency holders This is the most commonly encountered coin in a Regency holder. I've seen eight or nine of them personally, I own two of them. Most of the other Regency slabs I have seen have high value coins in them (Coin worth in the thousands or tens of thousands) So if you want a Regency, these Danny Kay estate coins are about the only low cost way to get one.

Is there any way to know how many of these black core slabs were actually encapsulated by NGC ?

Are there 28 left out of 50 or 4000 ? If its 4000 those paying huge premiums might be sad if there is an hoard of them eventually brought to market.