• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

18_1 Indian head and a Kennedy h_lf.....

4 posts in this topic

i dont have photos of the full coins right now but thought id toss these 2 up and see if i can get some opinions. the kennedy is a 1974D. other then the missing A, is that machine doubling on the H LF? the Indian head has me clueless. im not sure if thats an 8,9 or 0 as the 3rd digit. Thanks for your 2 cents on them

missingA_zps322aaef0.jpg

18_1_zps1ef600d7.jpg

The half is machine doubled, with the A being missing because the coin was struck through schmutz, which filled the A on the die. The cent is an 1891.

Grease-filled dies can be found for almost every denomination of coin, and the machine doubling is also very common on halves from the 70's.

I think John is correct on the IHC. It just appears that the "9" has been damaged.

Chris

thanks for the input. i figured that was the case with the A, just wasnt sure about the machine doubling. i know thats the more common and doesn't increase value, just having a hard time telling the 2 apart still. as for the Indian head 1891 is what i was learning towards,but didnt know if it was pmd or what.