• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone used both NGC and PCGS conservation services and would therefore...

6 posts in this topic

I have not used the PCGS services and as they have added more options for submitters and were already running way behind on turn-around times, the wait could be agonizing judging from some of the comments I have seen on their site. Hiring or training qualified workers these days is a tall order.

I would just speak to some experiences with NCS. An excellent company, submitters should consider carefully what they submit and get at least two qualified dealers to comment on a potential submission before doing it as the wait times and what they can do to help the coins is limited to what they are actually working with. You go to a doctor with a complaint, and many people will feel cheated if the doctor doesn't "do" anything or prescribe anything, when in many cases the doctor should do exactly that, nothing.

For do it yourself remedies, I would like to see some basic guidelines on uses of acetone; is it possible to overuse? Crusty attractive gold does not need a dip. But what about copper spots, is nitric acid the fluid of choice and what are the cautions on its use?

... be able to compare the two?

Thanks in advance.

I have not used the PCGS service, but a major difference is that PCGS requires you to have the coins graded after conservation, and then charges you a percentage of the value of the grade assigned. NCS does not require grading.

For do it yourself remedies, I would like to see some basic guidelines on uses of acetone; is it possible to overuse? Crusty attractive gold does not need a dip. But what about copper spots, is nitric acid the fluid of choice and what are the cautions on its use?

There have been a number of threads about acetone on these boards. A search should bring them to light.

There have been a number of threads about acetone on these boards. A search should bring them to light.

Here is the most thorough and complete discussion of acetone that you will find: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5536102#Post5536102

Here is the most thorough and complete discussion of acetone that you will find: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5536102#Post5536102

You are extremely thorough with your methods!

With gold coins, apparently acetone is a universal solvent to remove AT. Is that what NCS uses with fire damaged collections? Is nitric acid the main chemical used for removing copper spots, and how long do the coins remain in solution?