• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry for toned coins ,anyone have interest?

51 posts in this topic

The most satisfying way to get an idea of your coins eye appeal is to go to a major show, lay them out, and show them off in person.

The viewers will make you well aware of how cool the toning really is...It's best when the jaded, life-long tone chasers go "wow," or say something even more outrageous!

Re: Registry for toned coins ,anyone have interest?

a most excellent suggestion (thumbs u

and i think it would be wildly popular within 6 months to a year and be one of the most participated registries in the set registry

The most satisfying way to get an idea of your coins eye appeal is to go to a major show, lay them out, and show them off in person.

The viewers will make you well aware of how cool the toning really is...It's best when the jaded, life-long tone chasers go "wow," or say something even more outrageous!

Better then that... show them off to a 6 yr old. They are about as honest as they come. He/she will tell you if your monster is ugly or beautiful. And they can probably even tell you the name of the Crayola Crayon the matches the toning....

This is just market grading, gang. Any grading system that has eye appeal at its core is a natural for attempts such as this to try to set standards to try to quantify it. In fact PCGS already has standards published for when the grade can be bumped for eye appealing tarnish.

As an aside, it's funny. Eye appeal is at the core of market grading and yet what do these standards try to do but take the eyes right out of your head? Example. No longer can your eyes admire something as simple as tarnish. The only way they can do that is if the market grading TPGs say they can. If the TPGs don't grade it, you don't have permission to admire it.

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling the tail a leg doesn't make it one." -A. Lincoln

This is just market grading, gang. Any grading system that has eye appeal at its core is a natural for attempts such as this to try to set standards to try to quantify it. In fact PCGS already has standards published for when the grade can be bumped for eye appealing tarnish.

As an aside, it's funny. Eye appeal is at the core of market grading and yet what do these standards try to do but take the eyes right out of your head? Example. No longer can your eyes admire something as simple as tarnish. The only way they can do that is if the market grading TPGs say they can. If the TPGs don't grade it, you don't have permission to admire it.

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling the tail a leg doesn't make it one." -A. Lincoln

I think you are confusing admiration with money. Most toned coin collectors have raw toned coins that they enjoy just as much as the graded examples, but without TPG plastic, those coins will not achieve substantial monetary premiums when sold.

The members of coin forums routinely have debates about NT/AT and you routinely remind us that it doesn't really matter. But what you forget is that most of the frequent posters on coin forums represent the most knowledgeable collectors in the world. It is very easy for us to discern a blatant AT example from the pack. But most of the novice collectors in the world don't have the first clue when it comes to toning and originality. That is why the blanket statement of only buying toned coins in TPG plastic exists.

Furthermore, the majority of the toned coins that we talk about on these forums with relation to NT/AT are the very small population that swims the channel between NT and AT and really, nobody knows for sure. That is why the debates are so heated and why so many disagree.

Btw, what did your post have to do with a registry for toned coins?

He has to have a means of rating the tarnish, right? Suffice it to say, before I replied, I read the thread, not just the title.

I see what you're saying on the rest and I think that was big of you to acknowledge your awareness of my dissenting position, which, I'll concede, isn't exactly easy for a lot of the gang here and especially those indoctrinated ATS to wrap their heads around. We'll get around to this again when I'm off my iPhone. I have other fires to put out right now.

PS: Don't worry, I'll find you. ;)

I think you are confusing admiration with money. Most toned coin collectors have raw toned coins that they enjoy just as much as the graded examples, but without TPG plastic, those coins will not achieve substantial monetary premiums when sold.

The members of coin forums routinely have debates about NT/AT and you routinely remind us that it doesn't really matter. But what you forget is that most of the frequent posters on coin forums represent the most knowledgeable collectors in the world. It is very easy for us to discern a blatant AT example from the pack. But most of the novice collectors in the world don't have the first clue when it comes to toning and originality. That is why the blanket statement of only buying toned coins in TPG plastic exists.

Furthermore, the majority of the toned coins that we talk about on these forums with relation to NT/AT are the very small population that swims the channel between NT and AT and really, nobody knows for sure. That is why the debates are so heated and why so many disagree.

OK, I'm back. I'd rather look at it in slightly different terms. To be brutally honest you're not selling these tarnished coins at these "NT" premiums to any collectors who know anything about appreciating coins as we're just not going to pay you those premiums, no way. We may pay you a little extra for the tarnish, but, if so, that's icing on the cake, or, i.e., like a tip you'd leave on a good meal. You're rather selling these tarnished coins at these "NT" premiums to investors in plastic who are concerned about that one aspect, "Can the coin get into the plastic, i.e., can it play in that plastic market that acknowledges these voodoo standards and irrational premiums?" FWIW, the latter is a big market in these forums, as well as in the sponsored coin shows. But given these TPGs created and sustain that market through their marketing and dealer-networking, principally, that's hardly surprising, is it?

Bottom-line, we come out in the same place, we just get there a little differently. Just don't venture outside these controlled venues, and your premiums ought to be safe.

And, that's it. Complicated, isn't it? :)

OK, I'm back. I'd rather look at it in slightly different terms. To be brutally honest you're not selling these tarnished coins at these "NT" premiums to any collectors who know anything about appreciating coins as we're just not going to pay you those premiums, no way. We may pay you a little extra for the tarnish, but, if so, that's icing on the cake, or, i.e., like a tip you'd leave on a good meal. You're rather selling these tarnished coins at these "NT" premiums to investors in plastic who are concerned about that one aspect, "Can the coin get into the plastic, i.e., can it play in that plastic market that acknowledges these voodoo standards and irrational premiums?" FWIW, the latter is a big market in these forums, as well as in the sponsored coin shows. But given these TPGs created and sustain that market through their marketing and dealer-networking, principally, that's hardly surprising, is it?

Bottom-line, we come out in the same place, we just get there a little differently. Just don't venture outside these controlled venues, and your premiums ought to be safe.

You seem think that those who agree with you are experienced discerning collectors, but those who pay huge premiums for toning are "investors in plastic". To be brutally honest, that level of thinking makes you appear very foolish and only serves to hurt your overall credibility on this forum. You are better than that, aren't you?

You seem think that those who agree with you are experienced discerning collectors, but those who pay huge premiums for toning are "investors in plastic". To be brutally honest, that level of thinking makes you appear very foolish and only serves to hurt your overall credibility on this forum. You are better than that, aren't you?

I'd have to second this. Although, I don't know anything about any poster's credibility or looking foolish but I can say without question I know a good number of "experienced collectors" who DO pay premiums for toned coins. Many of these are not "investors in plastic" either...

At least this kind of thing has been going on the twenty years I've been involved in this market...before that I can't say....so maybe it's a product of the TPGs...who knows. In fact, who cares? People buy what they like and if there are more buyers for a coins that are toned than what is available there will be a premium paid. Simple economics I guess.

jom

I'd have to second this. Although, I don't know anything about any poster's credibility or looking foolish but I can say without question I know a good number of "experienced collectors" who DO pay premiums for toned coins. Many of these are not "investors in plastic" either...

At least this kind of thing has been going on the twenty years I've been involved in this market...before that I can't say....so maybe it's a product of the TPGs...who knows. In fact, who cares? People buy what they like and if there are more buyers for a coins that are toned than what is available there will be a premium paid. Simple economics I guess.

jom

Not interested in a toned coin registry and I rarely understand what Kurtdog is talking about. I'm convinced he really thinks he knows what he's talking about though.

MJ

o maybe it's a product of the TPGs...who knows. In fact, who cares? People buy what they like and if there are more buyers for a coins that are toned than what is available there will be a premium paid. Simple economics I guess.

jom

+1

Lehigh, I ever tell you about the time I found a dead fish in my backyard? It was just lying there and I'm nowhere near the water-level leastways not low enough to where a fish could jump in my yard. I figure an osprey picked it up and dropped the sucker. Either that or one of the cats took a fishing pole from the garage and caught it. But I'd hate to think that because none of them has a fishing license and that would mean one of them broke the law. It was a big bass, though, must have gone three pou-oh, you were saying?

Tell you what. Think what you want. Conclude what you want. Just mind your manners while you're at it. That'd be real big of you.

Not interested in a toned coin registry and I rarely understand what Kurtdog is talking about. I'm convinced he really thinks he knows what he's talking about though.

MJ

MJ, got two tens for a five? Thanks. Sheesh.

Lehigh, I ever tell you about the time I found a dead fish in my backyard? It was just lying there and I'm nowhere near the water-level leastways not low enough to where a fish could jump in my yard. I figure an osprey picked it up and dropped the sucker. Either that or one of the cats took a fishing pole from the garage and caught it. But I'd hate to think that because none of them has a fishing license and that would mean one of them broke the law. It was a big bass, though, must have gone three pou-oh, you were saying?

Tell you what. Think what you want. Conclude what you want. Just mind your manners while you're at it. That'd be real big of you.

Mind my manners? I was trying to help you. Making sweeping statements about collector stereotypes is foolish. Btw, can I have your cat? Seems to me that a cat who can use a fishing pole would be worth some money.

MJ

:grin:;)

Mind my manners? I was trying to help you. Making sweeping statements about collector stereotypes is foolish. Btw, can I have your cat? Seems to me that a cat who can use a fishing pole would be worth some money.

Oh boy, there she blows. Lehigh, don't start with me. You don't want to do that. Believe me when I tell you.

PS: FWIW, from what I've seen, you've got good coins, as well as excellent tastes in tarnish. In fact, I've steered many a young collector to your tarnished coins. I don't know that any of them bought anything, but I steered them there. My kid's coin club networks with coin clubs literally all over the world. They don't have real jobs, they're still, many of them, at that goofing-off stage, but it keeps them out of the online poker rooms and other such mush-brained nonsense kids often are apt to decline into, these days. For that matter, I also steer them to NGC and away from PCGS, when they feel the impulse for plastic. But, get it straight. They're collectors, not investors. Meaning, they don't need anybody to grade them, much less to "grade" the tarnish on their coins, based on arbitrary marketing standards. Rationale? It's smack up against your nose. That takes their whole reason for collecting out. And, guess who taught them that? Meaning, until these forums start running scared and defensively censoring speech, expect I'm, from time to time, going to continue to do it, here, and, get used to it. Thanks.

MJ

:grin:;)

Buddy, you won't believe how well that works at the track when the bettors are rushing to the windows to get their bets down. ;)

Oh boy, there she blows. Lehigh, don't start with me. You don't want to do that. Believe me when I tell you.

PS: FWIW, from what I've seen, you've got good coins, as well as excellent tastes in tarnish. In fact, I've steered many a young collector to your tarnished coins. I don't know that any of them bought anything, but I steered them there. My kid's coin club networks with coin clubs literally all over the world. They don't have real jobs, they're still, many of them, at that goofing-off stage, but it keeps them out of the online poker rooms and other such mush-brained nonsense kids often are apt to decline into, these days. For that matter, I also steer them to NGC and away from PCGS, when they feel the impulse for plastic. But, get it straight. They're collectors, not investors. Meaning, they don't need anybody to grade them, much less to "grade" the tarnish on their coins, based on arbitrary marketing standards. Rationale? It's smack up against your nose. That takes their whole reason for collecting out. And, guess who taught them that? Meaning, until these forums start running scared and defensively censoring speech, expect I'm, from time to time, going to continue to do it, here, and, get used to it. Thanks.

Okay, you have officially lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about. What am I starting? You know the cat comment was a joke, right?

Forgive me if this is way off, however I think that this issue could have a much easier way to be solved. The bottom line of the registry is to have fun and present your collection so that other fellow collectors can partake in your enjoyment correct? If the answer to this question is yes, then why should ranking the eye appeal of the coins really be a big factor, it’s an interesting idea but the implications of this are all over the place! My suggestion would be to create a new registry set for all series and filter it so only coins with the star designation are eligible. This idea has its own issues as well seeing how PCGS coins would be left out, however the basic argument has been met. Coins with nicely toned surfaces can now have the distinction of having their own registry, which also makes it easier for those of us who enjoy looking through toned sets. The problem is that toned coins are unique, with that being said how can you really measure something that has no true standard? I would also like to mention that paying slight premiums for toned coins shouldn’t be too far out there so to speak, honestly any dealer would admit that they will pay a slight premium for a coin that they really like regardless of rather it’s because of toning or some other feature.

Oh boy, there she blows. Lehigh, don't start with me. You don't want to do that. Believe Okay, you have officially lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about. What am I starting? You know the cat comment was a joke, right?

Lehigh, I've seen it when you've been baited into flame-wars, and I was just trying to say, let's be better-mannered than that. You saw an innuendo that wasn't there. I collect plastic, too. If you're a dope who doesn't know what he's doing for that, what do you think that makes me?

But, there are dopes, aren't there? It has to be in this plastic, not that plastic. It has to have a star, or a plus. It has to have a sticker. Wake up. That's all that's in the vocabulary, these days.That's all the kids are learning. That's all this "hobby" is, you take a survey. Oh, and it can't be "AT." It better not be that.

Let me be even more frank. Your "Appalachian" nickels. Every one of those I've bothered to look at on your website are condition-wise "right in there." Wouldn't you like a TPG that had the brains enough to see that? But, what do we get, instead? We get a dice-roll on arbitrary standards. And, depending on what? You tell me, you're the expert. Are you beginning to get the idea? "AT" and "NT" are but in our vocabulary for one reason, to induce us to get our tarnish into plastic. That's all those are, marketing.

Ah, but now what do we do? Evaluate the tarnish on whether we like it or not. Real challenging, isn't it?

PS: I don't really have any cats, I'm allergic to them. Sorry about that one.