• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree coins. What's your opinion?

46 posts in this topic

Just for fun, looking at more 1804 dollars and their pedigrees, the Sultan of Muscat coin magically rose from PF-65 to PF-68, the King of Siam coin went from PF-65 to PF-67, the Dexter coin only increased in grade by one point from PF-63 to PF-64, and finally, Garrett's coin not only went from EF-40 to PF-55, but also changed from a circulation strike into a proof along the way.

Gradeflation doesn't exist? OK, I guess not, but it sure seems to have been active in years past.

Just for fun, looking at more 1804 dollars and their pedigrees, the Sultan of Muscat coin magically rose from PF-65 to PF-68, the King of Siam coin went from PF-65 to PF-67, the Dexter coin only increased in grade by one point from PF-63 to PF-64, and finally, Garrett's coin not only went from EF-40 to PF-55, but also changed from a circulation strike into a proof along the way.

Gradeflation doesn't exist? OK, I guess not, but it sure seems to have been active in years past.

James, please don't resort to using a straw man's argument to make your point. I don't recall seeing posts in this thread, denying the existence of gradeflation.

And if the Garrett coin was originally labeled EF, rather than PF, changing the designation to the latter had nothing to do with gradeflation.

multimillion $ big boi coins are just that and they have their own grades or call them rankings and grades for the most part are not nearly as important as with most all other coins

and with huge $ inflation comes inflation in the coin grading yet the big boi coins are still (basically) ranked the same

so nothing has changed except the prices and again with higher and higher prices these coins require higher grades in the correct plastic and again rankings are basically the same...................................... and yes there are always exceptions to the rules

What is your opinion on coins with pedigree, i.e. the Binion collection, Omaha Bank Hoard, McClaren collection, etc. Do you think these coins will be more valuable in time? Or do you think pedigree is a premium not worth paying for?

I do not think such coins will become more valuable, merely due to the pedigree. And I would not pay a premium for them.

As a general rule, any time you pay a premium for a coin for reasons other than its quality and appearance, you run the risk that you won't obtain that premium upon resale.

I think that much of what is being called gradeflation, when comparing early grades to later ones, is actually a difference in what grading standard is being used. Earlier grading was more like the much stricter European grading standards still used today by some of the auction companies on raw foreign coins and ancients. EAC standards used for copper are also an example of the old standards still being used. I do not consider them comparable to the more refined grading scale we use today, despite their use of similar language.

I think that much of what is being called gradeflation, when comparing early grades to later ones, is actually a difference in what grading standard is being used. Earlier grading was more like the much stricter European grading standards still used today by some of the auction companies on raw foreign coins and ancients. EAC standards used for copper are also an example of the old standards still being used. I do not consider them comparable to the more refined grading scale we use today, despite their use of similar language.

Whatever you wish to call it, it amounts to gradeflation. ;)

I can't say with complete certainty that any third party grading company upgrades simply because of a confirmed pedigree. What I can say is that I have seen many pieces with tied pedigrees, that in my opinion were over-graded and many of them hammered at some ridiculous prices vs what they should have given their rarity.

I enjoy knowing some history of the coins I own whether that be that the coin was part of a collection or part of a hoard of coins. To me it has some value.

I have never bought or needed to buy a coin for this reason, but the only real value that I can see that a pedigree might actually add is to help confirm that it is authentic through a chain of ownership. But I am not aware that happens at all and have never heard of it. And in any event, most coins are common enough where it would hardly ever matter.

I would love to own an Eliasburg speciman.....but most are out of my price range. I've always been fascinated by provenance. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I enjoy Pedigree coins and have found there are people who want these because of a particular interest or another. Similar to what drives collectors of National Banknotes (hometown currency). As always I buy the coin based on its merits not just because of the Pedigree.

I have owned a few Omaha Bank Hoard coins and thinking about their history while viewing the coin and enjoying a good brew is nice.