• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

These exact colors on a morgan would go unquestioned

201 posts in this topic

What I would like to see is the photos you guys have of other Peace Dollars that are completely toned in lilac or lavender. That is the only one I have ever seen.

What is your opinion of the ex-Duckor 1923-S PCGS M65 Peace Dollar that sold recently? I know it is not lavender, but I hope that it illustrates a point.

Edited to add: The reason I think this coin is NT is the same reason that I think your rainbow toned St. Gauden's Double Eagle is NT. While I have never seen one with the same exact appearance as your Double Eagle, I had seen the same colors (and for your coin, the progression as well) on other coins, albeit the toning was very subtle and much less drastic. Similarly, while I have never seen a coin as dramatic as Mumu's, I have seen the same colors in a much subtler and less extreme way.

I have been told and read that the 23-S is not ex-Duckor.

Well there's a potential lawsuit...

I have fielded a few offers for some of my P$ and the deal breaker has been when I insist that i would only let the coin go if going forward the new owner and anyone they sell to must refer to the coin as "the ex-mumu speciman"...(that was a joke)

What I would like to see is the photos you guys have of other Peace Dollars that are completely toned in lilac or lavender. That is the only one I have ever seen.

What is your opinion of the ex-Duckor 1923-S PCGS M65 Peace Dollar that sold recently? I know it is not lavender, but I hope that it illustrates a point.

Edited to add: The reason I think this coin is NT is the same reason that I think your rainbow toned St. Gauden's Double Eagle is NT. While I have never seen one with the same exact appearance as your Double Eagle, I had seen the same colors (and for your coin, the progression as well) on other coins, albeit the toning was very subtle and much less drastic. Similarly, while I have never seen a coin as dramatic as Mumu's, I have seen the same colors in a much subtler and less extreme way.

Against whom?

Against whom?

We can do this through PM I dont want to ruffle anyone's feathers...

Against whom?

We can do this through PM I dont want to ruffle anyone's feathers...

The auction description does not say "Duckor" and the winning bidder is an informed and happy numismatist. Case dismissed.

The auction description does not say "Duckor" and the winning bidder is an informed and happy numismatist. Case dismissed.

+1

I apologize for in the inaccuracy of the pedigree information that I provided.

Having seen the coin in hand, I would say that the coin is as (or even more) colorful and vibrant as it is in the image. Hence, the image doe snot look "juiced".

Hahaha............ Mark said doe snot

Having seen the coin in hand, I would say that the coin is as (or even more) colorful and vibrant as it is in the image. Hence, the image doe snot look "juiced".

doh!

+1

You were not the only one who said the coin was ex-Duckor and if you get sued, I will defend you vigorously! ;)

+1

You were not the only one who said the coin was ex-Duckor and if you get sued, I will defend you vigorously! ;)

You have to be licensed and active to do that, Mark. You can give him your moral support, though. :)

doh!

I thought you promised to never use your iPad for typing in the forum anymore. :taptaptap:

jom

I have also heard that the 23-S is semi-PL and the colors really pop so the supposed juiced image actually looks like the coin. I will be seeing the coin very soon and will make a judgement call for myself :headbang:

I think I contributed to this inaccurate assignation because I thought I'd read it in the auction description (that later got edited?). Anyway, I've gone back to that thread to remove the mistake.

I think I contributed to this inaccurate assignation because I thought I'd read it in the auction description (that later got edited?). Anyway, I've gone back to that thread to remove the mistake.

Anyone have an auction catalog ?

Anyone have an auction catalog ?

I'll have to dig mine out, but come to think of it, I think I got the term "ex-Duckor" from a recent thread. Due to a phenomenon cognitive psychologists refer to a source monitoring error, I mistakenly thought the auction description included this pedigree information.

I'll have to dig mine out, but come to think of it, I think I got the term "ex-Duckor" from a recent thread. Due to a phenomenon cognitive psychologists refer to a source monitoring error, I mistakenly thought the auction description included this pedigree information.

Please post a pic of it... I could have sworn it was listed as Ex Duckor on the auction site... I might be losing my mind though... lol

Heres a Peace $ I sold to Larry Shapiro a few years ago with a lot of pink and lavander toning. The reverse also has th same orange halo toning that the 21 Obverse has in the Tiara.

Pictures are old ebay pics. Very accurate as in non juiced done by a seller who is a pro non coin photographer named jarvismphoto on ebay. Its a maller pic and all I have but you can also see round spots directly behind Liberty about half way down from the Y towards Trvst

s

1923004c.jpg

1923004cc.jpg

This toning looks very typical of a silver dollar -- Morgan OR Peace -- stored in a Kraft paper envelope for many years. I know this, because I own several of each. And incidentally, the same Kraft paper toning happens on silver halves, quarters and dimes.

Your correct about the craft envelopes

I picked up an 1890 Morgan with similar lavender and lilac toning. It was in a older Kraft envelope( have the envelope) supposedly stored since mid 80's. So it can go across series and be genuine toning!!!

I am pretty sure I remember seeing the online description list the Duckor name. I distincly remember using their spelling to double check mine once while looking at the coin and making a post.

I am pretty sure I remember seeing the online description list the Duckor name. I distincly remember using their spelling to double check mine once while looking at the coin and making a post.

not ex Duckor. MJ

The legend morphy site originally said ex duckor. No question about it. When I originally opened this post I had no clue who Dr Steven L Duckor was but after reading the auction description I did some research. The auction listing has since been edited.

Nick

The legend morphy site originally said ex duckor. No question about it. When I originally opened this post I had no clue who Dr Steven L Duckor was but after reading the auction description I did some research. The auction listing has since been edited.

Nick

Your 100% correct... And Bruce was talking about this being a great coin and one of the last coins Duckor decided to get rid of... Am I surprisde everything disappeared? No... But than again it doesn't really matter!

No, the Legend site has not been edited. Laura stated very clearly to Mark Feld and I before the sale that the title of the thread was in error. As for my comments, they were based upon the title of the thread - unfortunately I did not question the OP's assertion. My bad.

As far as it being a great coin - it is indeed!

I dont doubt that at all!!!

Edited to add: Futhermore I doubt Duckors Pedigree would bring much of an EXTRA premium to that coin anyhow... Gold yes.... Rainbow Toned Peace Dollar... Most likley not

As far as it being a great coin - it is indeed!

I dont doubt that at all!!!

Edited to add: Futhermore I doubt Duckors Pedigree would bring much of an EXTRA premium to that coin anyhow...

Agreed. I think the condition rarity of the coin coupled with the phenomenal toning is what sold the coin.

+1

lol I certainly appreciate that.

I'll guess I'll have to add some legal disclaimer to my signature line to the effect that no warranties, express or implied, are made to the information contained therein... blah, blah, blah!

Nick

Your 100% correct... And Bruce was talking about this being a great coin and one of the last coins Duckor decided to get rid of... Am I surprisde everything disappeared? No... But than again it doesn't really matter!

Thank you. I knew I wasnt losing my mind... I thought it looked different when I went back to to see the final hammer...

Nick

Thank you. I knew I wasnt losing my mind... I thought it looked different when I went back to to see the final hammer...

Not possible - the catalog goes to the printer a month in advance - the descriptions are set in stone before that date. There has been no recent editing of any description. Laura was quite befuddled why everyone thought the coin to be ex Duckor - his coin was a Barber quarter.

Nick

Not possible - the catalog goes to the printer a month in advance - the descriptions are set in stone before that date. There has been no recent editing of any description. Laura was quite befuddled why everyone thought the coin to be ex Duckor - his coin was a Barber quarter.

Dont you own part of Legend-Morphy ?