• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #553 It's that time again!!!

21 posts in this topic

• Administrator

This weeks First and Second place winners will be picked at random…

The question must be answered by Saturday at midnight EST

QUESTION:

Which of the three mints coined the smallest quantity of 1965-dated nickels?

This weeks winner will win an Autographed copy of “The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels” All New Third Edition by David W. Lange

There will also be a runner up prize given to a selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details

From my research so far, mint marks were temporarily suspended between 1965-1967. Mint marks were again added to the coins in 1968.

"The coinage Act of 1965 prohibited the use of mint marks for a period of five years. This, together with the date freeze, eliminated distinguishing features on our coins which could tend to cause their removal from circulation during a critical period when the Mint was striving to build up coin inventories. No mint marks appear on coins dated 1965, 1966 and 1967. Congressional authorization permitted resumption of the practice in 1968, at which time the mint marks, usually positioned on the reverse of the coins prior to 1968, were permanently relocated to the obverse side."- Info from USMint.gov website

"Special Mint Sets were produced for collectors at San Francisco during 1965, 1966 and 1967. Due to the restrictions on coin identification in force at that time, no mint marks were used. Proof coin operations were moved from the Philadelphia Mint to San Francisco in 1968, and the letter "S" identifies that special numismatic coinage. In addition, all proof coinage produced by West Point carries a "W" mint mark." -Info from USMint.gov website

So that's what I've found out so far. I have been unable to find exact numbers of how many coins came from each mint, but the total mintage of the 1965 series is 136,131,380 coins. If anyone has other information, please share! This has sparked my interest a little more and I will be doing some more research on this!

San Francisco Mint produced the 1965 Special Mint Set without a mintmark. due to the The coinage Act of 1965 prohibited the use of mint marks for a period of five years.

• Administrator

QUESTION:

Which of the three mints coined the smallest quantity of 1965-dated nickels?

Answer: Philadelphia

This weeks winner LincolnF4n has won an Autographed copy of “The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels” All New Third Edition by David W. Lange

Cpm9ball is our runner up and has won an NGC Single Coin Display box.

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNERS!!

Thank you for playing and please stop by this Friday for the PMG Numisma-Quest question