• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How the heck do I fill out this form?

9 posts in this topic

Ok, let me start things out on a bad note here - I collect comics, not coins. There - I said it - flog me as you will.

Now why the hell am I posting on the coin forum?

Well is seems that NGC was kind enough to give me a coupon for 3 coins graded under the NGC Express Tier so I figured I would take advangage of it. (Again, let me reiterate that I do not collect coins...I have too much fun spending them.) But it just so happens that I have a box of old coins in the house that a few of them are valuable to me in sintemental ways.

The 3 I want graded are listed below:

1) A 1921 Silver dollar from the year my gradfather was born/also used in a swearing in ceremony for my wife in the United States Air Force

2) A 1912 20 franc gold piece given to me by the Ambassador of Venezuela

3) An 1883 Silver dollar that is (in my view) GREAT condition that I use for making some of the most important decisions of my life in the arbritary "flip."

I know that these are not coins that most people would want to send to get graded, but I simply want these encased, labled, graded and protected...my grandfather is dead, I am now divorced, I doubt I'll ever be back in Venezuela and my new years resolution was not to toss coins in life decisions.... so I want these cased and graded for the simple hell of it.

I was looking over the form that came with my membership packet and have a few questions on how to fill this out.

1) I got the Country and the Coin date figured out cool.gif, and I think my eyes are good enough to see an "O" on the 1883 Silver Dollar and maybe an "S" on the 1921 Silver dollar, but what the hell would a mint mark be on a 1912 Gold franc and is it totally necessary to fill that out?

2) What the heck does "MS or PF" mean?

3) Under variety, I have no idea - I just want these looked at, graded and as we in the comic world say "slabed".

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Hi Jeremy,

I suggest that you call the NGC number (I don't know it offhand) in the morning. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you through it.

BTW, I think you picked three wonderful coins to want to protect in a slab. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, they are priceless to you...

Regards,

EVP

I'll try to answer what I can.

1. The mintmarks on the silver dollar are both on the reverse (tails side) below the eagle. O and S are both valid possible mintmarks for those dates respectively. I have no clue on possible mintmarks on the French coin.

2. MS = Mint State, PF = Proof. You have MS coins, not PF (unless someone gave you something incredibly rare.

3. For variety, no entry required for the 1883 Morgan, nor for the French (probably). For the 1921, if it looks the same as the other dollar and has no mintmark, then you might enter "Morgan" since they also made 1921 Peace dollars (no mintmark). If the coin looks different (way different) then enter "Peace" in the variety. If it looks the same as the 1883 and has a mintmark, no entry is required.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! That helped a bunch! Just have 2 other quick questions:

1)The "Minimum Grade" box, should I just leave that blank as I don't care what grade the coins get, I just want them graded and slabed?

2) What service do I choose? I have read through the descriptions and I am GUESSING that "Designation Review" would be the one I choose....right?

Appreciate all the help!

Jeremy

Yes, leave that box blank since your main concern is just having them slabbed and not attaining a minimum grade.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances check the "Designation Review" box. This can potentially trigger an entire series of events that may lead you to ultimately incur penalties including large fines and forfeiture, incarceration, or being taken into custody to be slabbed along with your coin!

1)The "Minimum Grade" box, should I just leave that blank as I don't care what grade the coins get, I just want them graded and slabed?

Correct, leave it blank.

2) What service do I choose? I have read through the descriptions and I am GUESSING that "Designation Review" would be the one I choose....right?

No. Choose "Express Grading" and leave the service part blank.

When all else fails or confuses you, leave it blank. If they have a problem, they will call you or figure it out themselves.

When you get them back, let us know what they graded.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances check the "Designation Review" box. This can potentially trigger an entire series of events that may lead you to ultimately incur penalties including large fines and forfeiture, incarceration, or being taken into custody to be slabbed along with your coin!

Huh? Care to expand on that one. confused.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Being a new submitter of coins, the most important thing to remember is to include your name and address, the coupon and a declared value on the coins (you may simply estimate this, as the Express tier allows a value of up to $10,000 per coin. Don't worry too much about all the other information, as NGC's Receiving Department can figure this out by simply looking at the coins.