• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you honed your own personal grading skills?

20 posts in this topic

With all this daily talk about right/wrong plastic and stickers on the forums.

Hypothetically speaking if all the third party grading services and the secondary opinion company vanished tomorrow...

Would you be confident enough to continue collecting on your own ~ or ~ would you have to go hide under a rock hm

I think I would be fine with MS Peace $... anything else and I would more worried... especially circulated coinage. VF to EX and EX to AU is sometimes very difficult to grade depending on series...

I'm continually improving my Morgan grading skills. I'm looking at hundreds of coins a week trying to assess them and improve my skills. I'm no where near where I want or need to be, but I feel better each and every week.

Like TonerGuy, I'm not comfortable with circulated coins and am slowly expanding my grading into different series.

Joe

I would have to go hide under a rock. I need to examine more coins but no real shops close by to me so I have to deal with internet buying. Plus I tried concentrating on one or two series but my problem is I like them all.

I would also hide under a rock!! I am very new at this and am learning something every day. But.....it is a great question and definitely has me thinking.....I promise to study hard!

I think I would be OK with those coins I am actively researching/pursuing, but I would have to drag a few books under the rock with me on other series I am less familiar with and then go hang at the B&M shops before I would feel comfortable buying anything.

Hypothetically speaking if all the third party grading services and the secondary opinion company vanished tomorrow...

Would you be confident enough to continue collecting on your own ~ or ~ would you have to go hide under a rock hm

One question for you: I need help. Where's the rock? lol

I think I can take care of myself in certain areas but I'd have trouble in others...without question.

I think I'll be taking the two remaining grading classes at Long Beach this year..I hope. I need to get much better.

jom

I would feel confident with Walkers.

I think that I would be MUCH more careful or hesitant on the big dollar pieces-----I would certainly NOT buy from just images anymore, as TPGS now allow me to do.

I would like to, some day, take an advanced grading class/seminar to, either, hone my skills or else learn any add'l info that I may have missed along the way----it would be fun, regardless.

I'm getting the hang of it. When I have a questionable (cleaned, AT, etc) coin in hand I usually know it. When I ship to NGC the coins are getting much closer to the grades I expect.

Numerical grading is pretty standard as is grading on used coins, the dipped and hair lined creatures are my problem area.

I learned how to evaluate and grade on my own, before the grading services became a necessity. And if they were gone tomorrow, then I would celebrate, because I would no longer be compelled/coerced to pay someone else lots of money to tell me what I already know. The affect this would have on the greater market and the large number of dealers who do not know what they are doing is another story.

I would be comfortable with morgans, fairly comfortable with barber series, but pretty much anything else I would be worried...thank goodness I have a the photograde book!

Only if everyone got away from the MS point system on pre-1965's. Prices realized between MS-64 and MS-65 is staggering. Everyone wants the 65 and many times the coin could go either way, that is unless it's a dog of a 64.

i would be fine

but to be 100% protected

i would need to only collect no brainer, easy to grade, standarized, usually well struck and preserved, mid range circ coins where mostly everybody agrees with and call tell the grades all by themselves :juggle:

A very thought provoking question that everyone needs to ponder. Me, I would reduce my holdings to mercs and walkers and then very slowly begin another series. Barbers, I think might be a good beginning point.