• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Nicest Morgan..so far posted by JoeFerentz

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just received a 1880 S MS66Star Morgan Silver that I "won" while drinking and bidding.

Even as I suffer buyer's remorse for paying to much for the grade, As a novice collector, going for this grade once seemed unreasonable, but now that I look at, it seems it was worth it. The contrast and frosty surfaces are amazing. I can't believe how awesome the coin looks!

So far this is the highest grade I own. Sure hope it ain't the last.

12998.jpg

See more journals by JoeFerentz

Way to go Joe !! I'd rather overpay on a high quality coin than get an average coin cheap every day of the week. Your buyer remorse will fade as this coin increases in value and occupies an important place in your collection. Congrats !!! RichH

Way to go Joe !! I'd rather overpay on a high quality coin than get an average coin cheap every day of the week. Your buyer remorse will fade as this coin increases in value and occupies an important place in your collection. Congrats !!! RichH

Sorry, but I'd rather overpay for a high quality coin, while not drinking and bidding. And, let's face it, we have no way of knowing if the coin will increase or decline in value.

No, MarkFeld, there is no way. You're right. But it's the expectation that it will.

And if I'm going to "overpay" on a coin, I'd rather do it while drinking so I have an excuse rather than not having another reason!

No, MarkFeld, there is no way. You're right. But it's the expectation that it will.

And if I'm going to "overpay" on a coin, I'd rather do it while drinking so I have an excuse rather than not having another reason!

Joe, upon what do you base that expectation? Prices from a year ago? Five years ago? Ten years ago? What do you expect will lead to an increase in value?

Hope is one thing, but expectation is another. And without a solid basis, the latter really only amounts to the former. ;)

Mark, I'm just saying in general I'd rather pay a bit more for the "right" coin at certain times. I know that is somewhat subjective but just my experience over time. Now, with all this talk about drinking, time to get a cold one myself ! Cheers!!

RichH

Joe,

Nice new addition to your Morgan set. The MS66 and up Morgans are very nice, clear, soft round cheek - unblemished = seductive in a way. Be careful or she will clean your bank account out. Not a collection you really want to drink and bid on. :)

The last time these took off in value was when silver was approaching $50 an ounce. I was following the trend for a while on both sides of the silver bubble and made some interesting observations. One observation I made is that the higher graded coins gave more bang for the buck and had more staying power, particularly at MS-66 and higher. The market on these is definitely softer now than it was then, so get them while you can. You never know when the next sharp rise in silver will come, how long it will stay, nor how high it will go. However, do shop around and be very discriminating about the coins you buy. The coin you got is really nice. However, it is cheaper to get the right coin the first time than to settle for something less appealing only to upgrade it at a loss later. All the best to you in completing your Morgan collection. I'm in there with you completing a Morgan set of my own. Within my set is a short set of 1879-S to 1882-S Morgans in MS-66 and they are some of the finest coins I own. Currently, I am looking to find the right MS-67 Morgan that suits my fancy as a representative coin of near perfection since it will be the only 67 I will own.

Gary

I own a lot more Morgan Dollars than this, but here is a link to a special 24 coin set I created of only MS-65 and 66 coins.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=4221

Beautiful Morgan.

On the subject of paying too much for a quality coin: If you are comfortable with what you paid, then it isn't too much....Unless you are collecting ASE's (sorry, I couldn't help myself there).

You have a great piece of history and if I was a betting man I would put my money on it going up in value.