• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Observations

11 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone.

I have now been here at NGC for just over a month now and have some observations regarding grading I'd like to share with you.

I'm not sure if the collecting public knows just how difficult it is to find coins graded by NGC with certain designations. Having worked "across the street" and here for a month, it has allowed me to see first hand, just how hard it is for a coin to qualify for certain designations.

For those of you who collect Jefferson Nickels, Franklin Halves, Morgan Dollars, and any proof coin, I want you to know how fortunate you are to have any of these coins with the highest designations affixed to them. NGC clearly adheres to a most rigid standard when employing the Full Step (FS), Full Bell Line (FBL), Deep Proof-Like (DPL), and Ultra Cameo (UCAM) designations to those coins I've mentioned above.

And as such, I want to make clear the standards utilized here at NGC for these coins, so that everyone knows and can make the appropriate comparisons against other services and their standards.

First, any Jefferson Nickel assigned as Full Steps (FS) is required to possess 6 full steps. Other services only require 5 steps for the designation, while others actually specify the number of steps visible.

Second, Franklin Halves designated Full Bell Lines (FBL) must not only have the lowest set of lines along the bottom of the bell be complete (a small allowance of weakness is acceptable to the left of the bell's crack), but the secondary set of lines just above must also be complete (with the same allowance accepted). This is an important feature as I am unaware of any other service requiring this high a standard.

Third, Morgan Dollars achieving the Deep Proof-Like (DPL) designation will only be those coins that possess the deepest mirrors against the frosty device. A coin that truly looks like a proof. There is not a depth gauge for DPL like there is at other services for the very reason that NGC requires the coin to not just be reflective at a certain depth, but the coin must have the clarity of a true proof coin against the whiteness associated with so many proofs.

Fourth, speaking of proofs, the NGC Ultra Cameo (UCAM) is the toughest in the industry. These coins must, like the DPL counterparts, possess the blackest mirrors against the whitest devices. Any shortfall here will preclude the coin from being designated as UCAM.

Which leads me to pose the question to all of the registry participants out there....being that NGC has the strictest of standards for these coins, should NGC graded coins not be so recognized within the body of the Registry?

Think about this and please let me know your thoughts. I certainly know that to complete a Jefferson Nickel collection in FS would be near impossible in NGC holders, FBL Franklins will also be available but difficult for certain dates. While Morgan Dollars might not seem as difficult due to this series being the most certified and therefore the most populated, I would still challenge collectors to assemble a set in DPL to appreciate the difficulty of the set. And lastly, we all know that a proof collection of any type, be it early silver, gold, or post WW-II coinage, will have to be those of the highest quality to achieve the UCAM designation, and as such, are much more difficult to attain.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Rick

Hey you left out Merc Dimes in your observations. They do not count here at NGC ? Certainly most Merc Collectors know that NGC is somewhat harder on giving out the FB designation but maybe others do not know this. Comment ?

This is not a post to pit one company against another but a post to clear the air on how NGC assigns the designation.

Ken

Ken,

The standard for the Mercury Dimes is quite similar between the companies. NGC requires that the center band be split and uninterrupted. I have not seen any major difference for this designation between the companies.

Rick

Rick:

I agree with everything you say,but is there a change of heart ?Maybe you can tell why PCGS still won't let NGC graded coins into their Registry.NGC realizes you can't always find the coin your looking for graded by just one certain company.I have Registry quality coins,but can't register them at PCGS because mine are in NGC slabs and NGC doesn't list SMS yet.Try to find Ultra Cameo SMS in high grades. confused.gif

SMS,

You would need to ask PCGS why you can't register your NGC coins in their registry.

I do appreciate your wanting the SMS sets to be set up and we are working on this as well as many other sets. I will be sure to let Dave Lange know of the desire to bring this set up. It is my belief and intent that registry users be permitted to not only fill the sets that are listed, but to also create and complete sets as they so choose.

Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate all the insight and suggestions you and the other registrants toss my way.

Rick

Rick:

First of all, Thank you for your prompt responce.I did ask PCGS (why they don't include NGC graded coins into their Registry) their responce was it would be unfair to PCGS collectors because NGC grading standards are looser than PCGS's overall and PCGS coins sell for more in the marketplace.They feel that a collection that is graded 100% PCGS has greater value. mad.gif

Rick - didn't you write that response to his question while at your last employer?

Shame on you TDN. Rick's already posted more times here than across the street, and you're already trying to run him off. laugh.gif

but to also create and complete sets as they so choose.

This is interesting. Do you mean user defined sets such as denominational varieties not currently recognized by NGC? Inclusive of grading companies other than NGC and PCGS?

Andy laugh.gif

Trade Dollar Nut,

Very obvservant of you. In fact, I did make a similar statement regarding DPL while across the street. I just feel the analogy works, so I've continued to use it.

Andriod, I do mean to allow users to create their own sets. After all, that's what collecting is all about anyway. In time, I would like to see that rare collector who only seeks gold proof coins whose denominations are in odd increments (G$1, $3, $5) and for pieces from even dated years be able to register his set. Why not.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Rick