• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN Show Purchase #2 - An 1853-D Gold Dollar

10 posts in this topic

I've been quietly working on a set of the Type I gold dollars. I've always liked these little coins, and although they are tough, none, except the 1849-C with the Open Wreath, is really impossible.

I spotted this one on Wednesday, and it took me day to decide to make the plunge because it was one of those situations where it is an AU that is almost worth MS-60 money despite a wide spread. The 1853-D gold dollar is supposed to be weakly struck on MS. Liberty's hair and often on the "3" in the date. This piece was well struck and had totally original surfaces to boot. As Doug Winter has written many, many gold coins have had their surfaces stripped, and the few that have not been messed with are seldom offered.

This was a sort of "gulp and pay" but in the end I figured it was worth it.

1853-DAUDollarO_zps70412433.jpg1853-DAUDollarR_zpsd49f4448.jpg

I've been quietly working on a set of the Type I gold dollars. I've always liked these little coins, and although they are tough, none, except the 1849-C with the Open Wreath, is really impossible.

I spotted this one on Wednesday, and it took me day to decide to make the plunge because it was one of those situations where it is an AU that is almost worth MS-60 money despite a wide spread. The 1853-D gold dollar is supposed to be weakly struck on MS. Liberty's hair and often on the "3" in the date. This piece was well struck and had totally original surfaces to boot. As Doug Winter has written many, many gold coins have had their surfaces stripped, and the few that have not been messed with are seldom offered.

This was a sort of "gulp and pay" but in the end I figured it was worth it.

1853-DAUDollarO_zps70412433.jpg1853-DAUDollarR_zpsd49f4448.jpg

Hi Bill,

'tis a beauty - below is her identical twin. Another one of the few not stripped.

Best, HT

1853-DGDNGCAU58CACcomp-1.jpg

I like it a lot.

As you know nice original Dahlonega gold only comes at a sizable premium. With all the dipped and stripped D mint gold out there the nice original pieces don't come to market very often as they are in strong hands.

I like it a lot.

As you know nice original Dahlonega gold only comes at a sizable premium. With all the dipped and stripped D mint gold out there the nice original pieces don't come to market very often as they are in strong hands.

I like it a lot too and so far it's my favorite of all your FUN newps posted.

For a AU58 I can see this selling at MS60 values all day long.

It's not just D gold out there that's stripped...

As try to do a set of any mint pre-civil war dated gold and you'll quickly discover that examples like this are few and far between.