• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pennies

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just inherited a large amount of pennies from 1986 and earlier. There are hundreds of wheat pennies included in this collection. No one has ever gone through the coins. What should I be looking for? What can be rolled and cashed in? Ive done some research but am not positive what I should be looking for.

Thank you!

Pennies from 1909-1982 are copper and worth at the bare minimum $0.03 each (although some 1982 pennies are zinc and only worth a penny, you have to weigh them to tell the difference). The wheat pennies Old Pueblo mentioned are some of the more valuable ones however, some of the early wheat pennies (think 1909-1919) with mint marks on them can be a few dollars or more each. You could try selling them as a lot, or broken up into categories on the Money Marketplace tab here or ebay.. or a local coin shop.

Well, there is also the 1909-S, any of the early S mint wheats, say 1910 - 1915. 1914-D, 1924-D. Of course if you just happen to run across a 1943 cent that's made of copper, make sure a magnet doesn't stick to it. If it does it's fake. 1955-S is more rare, but they were hoarded. 1969-S double die, 1972 Double Die and 1970 Small date. The 83, 84 and 95 double dies all demand a premium. That's pretty much all I can remember off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned.

Get to know people on here and sell them here. Collectors will pay a little better than dealers and no fees like you would get on eBay.

Buy a Redbook, that way you know what you have. But for prcing, check ended auctions and what not. Prices guides are simply that...guides. knowing what items actually sell for gives you a more accurate picture.

PURCHASE A GUDE BOOK TO UNITED STATES COINS (THE RED BOOK). FROM MY EXPERIENCE GET THE VITAL ITEMS YOU WILL NEW...MAGNIFIER AND SOME TYPE OF CAMERA SO YOU CAN POST PHOTOS HERE IN THIS FORUM. I AM A NEWBIE MYSELF AND I FIND THAT NOT HAVING THE MAGNIFICATION AND A CAMERA IS A HINDRANCE.

YOU CAN ALSO CHECK LINCOLN CENT RESOURCE DOUBLE DIES...THERE A LOT OF TERMINOLOGY THAT YOU WOULD NEED TO BE AWARE OF. I ALSO USE NGC VARIETY PLUS. ALSO YOU WILL FIND GREAT INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM...

WELL, THAT IS FROM MY EXPERIENCE BUT GET ALL THE NEEDED EQUIPMENT FIRST...LOOK FOR STORAGE FOR YOUR COINS...NON-PVC IS THE BEST...AN ALBUM TO CATALOG YOUR COINS...AND BEST OF ALL..."BE CREATIVE". MIGHT NOT NEED TO BUY ALL THIS ALBUM AND STUFF...YOU CAN USE A BIG NOTEBOOK...JUST DONT STICK YOUR COINS INTO ANYTHING!!

CHECK OUT NGC INFORMATION IN THE PACKET YOU GOT AND ON THIS WEBSITE...

GOOD LUCK

P.S. YOU CAN ALWAYS CHECK WITH THESE GUYS WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. THEY HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP TO ME..