• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 Steel Penny

5 posts in this topic

I really like the blue and yellow. Is this typical toning for a steel cent? Tough to catch the color, but the blue on the obverse is showing up better. Both are same colors.

newsteelpenny1a.jpg

newsteelpenny2.jpg

Thanks!

I have never a natural example of the 1943 steel and zinc coated war time cent turn yellow. I'm guessing, but I would say that this piece has been replated and the steel under it is rusting and bleeding through to the surface. Youl will find out in a year or so because if my guess is correct, the coin's appearance will deteriorate.

Here is a natural War Time Cent in MS-66. Coin doctors have been replating these coins for years. Most of the replated coins are much brighter than the original finish, which is duller. In the old time ads it was called "reprocessed."

1943CentO_zps7b23a528.jpg1943CentR_zps5bfbb0ce.jpg

Edited to ad: You see some yellow on my piece. That is due to white balance issued with the photo, not the color of the piece.

That's pretty interesting Bill and I can't wait to see what happens with it. I've noticed the one you posted has a nice luster to it. This one has none...just kinda shiny. I'm tempted to take it out of the plastic and expose it for a while.

The one you have could be natural. After these pieces were minted, the zinc oxidized which caused the coin to become dull. That why the circulated examples of these coins are seldom attractive. It is also the reason why the numbers of really nice examples of these coins will keep going down. Zinc is unstable and very prone to tarishing.