• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Coins Too Big For Slabs

13 posts in this topic

I've got several coins that are too big to fit in slabs. Any suggestions on how to best store them?

These are 16th-18th century foreign coins and frequently don't have perfectly round shapes. The max diameter for an NGC slab is 44.5mm and these are usually in the 48mm area.

Flips won't work for long term storage.

Capital holders perhaps, but do they make them that size with small size increments? What about cost? Aren't they somewhat expensive in the nonstandard sizes?

Display trays won't work since I don't want them sliding around and showing wear.

Something that will protect the coin, allow both sides to be seen, and can be used for LONG-term storage.

I ordered from Cap Plastics a while back and I recall that they will make any holder to your specifications. I can't be sure, but I seem to recall that the minimum charge was $25, and that might have been for a single coin holder. I think that for a person who wants to keep a coin nice for the long-term, it's not a bad investment.

Hoot

Capital Plastics will custom make holders for you in most any size and will make them as multi-coin holders, too. There is an additional cost for this and I looked into it once for something I wanted to get a holder for. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but for long-term storage it would seem like a good idea.

The only problem I've come up with on Capital Holders is often the bigger coin is also thicker and the plastic holder doesn't screw/bolt down completely because of it.

Wouldn't it be nice if NGC could take the extra step and use their absolutely enormous, multi-coin holder to house some of the coins that are too big for regular slabs?
Absolutely! I'd even be willing to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $50. per coin if they would do so.

Excellent idea! I'd be submitting about seven metals right off the bad.

(In the meantime, Dansco makes custom pages that'll hold the larger metals/tokens. It's the route I go in storing and holdering these items.)

I'd be very happy if NGC could use a slab about 1/2 the size of their multicoin slab. Not only would this be good for really arge coins, but it would look better for the 2 coin sets instead of having them in the very large multicoin slab.

It looks like the price for Capital Plastic to make a custom holder isn't too expensive. Under $30 each.

It looks like the price for Capital Plastic to make a custom holder isn't too expensive. Under $30 each.

Going to go for the engraving?

-JamminJ

Going to go for the engraving?

Haven't decided yet. If I do it will be simple identification (country/date/denomination).

Capital Plastics makes a 3 in X 3 in holder that I think hold hold your 48 mm coins. I used them for years for my better early U.S. coins. Back then Capital Plastics would drill the hole to any size. Quite often I would order it a little small and then use their fitting tool to get a custom fit.

The cost used to be $10 a piece. It's probably higher now, but the holders were really attractive and offered great protecton. I only stopped using them because I got the coins slabbed.

I've had a couple of requests for displaying large medals & coins.

We are currently looking into pricing to take two pieces of 1/4"

plastic and machine/polish a round pocket in order to sandwich

the coin/medal in the frame of our single-coin display as

pictured below.

We will be making a similar model that pivots on a vertical axis

for coins/medals with obverse/reverse in medal orientation so that

both sides will be right side up when rotating the panel.

This will definately be more expensive than the Capital Plastics

option, but for special pieces it will make a fantastic display!

Ken