• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Say it ain't so...cleaned coins???

16 posts in this topic

I have an affinity to older coins specifically type coins from the early and mid 1800's. I am starting to concentrate on Bust and seated Dimes and Half Dimes since I have always had a soft spot for the smaller coins. cloud9.gif

Now the problem.....I am going to have to do most of my shopping on Ebay since the selection is quite large, but it seems like 85% of the coins are cleaned, but not labled as cleaned 893frustrated.gif

It is very frustrating since most of these scans look like a 5 year old got a hold of their daddys computer. How do you guys and gals navigate around all of these pitfalls??

Is this representative of the market or just the Ebay (dump your junk) landscape confused-smiley-013.gif

Any suggestions for sights that have the types of coins I am looking for in circulated condition? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

kryptonitecomics, I agree with your observations about Ebay.

And, nearly the same could fairly be said about many of the uncertified coins found/sold elsewhere. I would recommend that you only buy coins certified by the major grading companies as a means of some (if not considerable) protection. Often times, such certified coins cost essentially the same price anyway, and the odds of getting a problem-free coin are much better.

You may want to consider taking a look at the Certified Coin Exchange where you can browse through inventory from many different dealers all at one time.

Never heard of it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the link I will have to check it out. The only good news for me is that I am not a novice so It's fairly easy for me to spot cleaned coins even from less than perfect scans. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I didn't get a PM confused-smiley-013.gif

The reason I am not buying slabed Seated Dimes and Half dimes is there is no selection, and you can't find circulated examples? I know for most folks it's not worth the price to slab the common dates of the series, but I am looking for coins in F to AU condition, not MS coins that I have to pay out the nose for 893frustrated.gif

Here is an example of one that came in the mail today. It's a solid problem free VF coin with typical gun metal grey toning, but it does not appear to have been cleaned so it's perfect for my collection 893applaud-thumb.gif

1871Halfdime.jpg

1871Halfdimebk.jpg

Not the best of scans, but it's the best I could do with a simple HP scanner foreheadslap.gif

You should check out the link I listed as it has a very large certified coin listing and also has a much smaller raw coin listing. The listings are seperate from one another so it is easy to search through them.

Here is a nice No Stars dime I picked up recently. This is also a scan. I use a Visioneer 8100 scanner, I think the scanner cost about $70.

551699-F1838O.jpg

551699-F1838O.jpg.122be19799bc14416733d44be7177a62.jpg

I will certainly check out the link. Maybe I just haven't played with my scanner enough to figure out how to capture coin images thumbsup2.gif

Any pointers on DPI or other adjustments 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

For raw coins such as the one I show, above, I simply place the coin onto the scanner bed and press "Acquire" and the scanner does the rest. I have the resolution set for 300dpi. Once the coin is scanned, I crop out the background. One thing that might be important is that I don't close the scanner lid. If you do that, then you might get a white background and a lighter image, however, if you leave the lid open then you get a jet black background and I find there is less in the way of hot spots on the image. Of course, circulated coinage like that shown won't have glaring white spots on it.

I will have to try a few things. I teied it open and closed with a toned coin and cound't get the colors to appear at all 893frustrated.gif

I have a digital camera, but I don't know if it will pick up a small image like a coin with any clarity. I believe it's only a 2 megapixel, but I will have to give it a shot 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

OK I played with the scanner to see if I could get a better image. I know it's not great, but is it better than the first scans I put up??? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1871Halfdime7.jpg

For raw coins such as the one I show, above, I simply place the coin onto the scanner bed and press "Acquire" and the scanner does the rest. I have the resolution set for 300dpi. Once the coin is scanned, I crop out the background. One thing that might be important is that I don't close the scanner lid. If you do that, then you might get a white background and a lighter image, however, if you leave the lid open then you get a jet black background and I find there is less in the way of hot spots on the image. Of course, circulated coinage like that shown won't have glaring white spots on it.

893blahblah.gifAlthough, the right digital camera will certainly give you superior results in regard to capturing coin images, I would like to offer you a few suggestions to help you improve coin images using a scanner. I used a scanner exclusively in the past until I upgraded my camera a few months ago.

Tom is absolutely correct with his suggestion as to not close the cover when scanning. What I used to do is set my scanner at 4800 to 6000 DPI and lay my coin, (certified or raw), on the scanner bed. I would then keep the cover open and lay an oversized black velvet cloth over the area being scanned. For better results in capturing luster and / or color, I would lay the coin on the scanner bed and tip it by “shimming up” one side of the coin, again, either raw or certified until the desired results are achieved. Of course the larger the “shim” you use to tilt the coin, the greater the angle. Keep in mind, that if the angle is to large, the resulting image will only be partially focused and also the circular shape of the coin will become elliptical, due to projecting down this tilted image onto a flat plane.

I would also suggest, first holding the coin in your hand directly under a light and tilting it around. Remember which hand held tilt looked best and try to duplicate the angle on the scanner bed by tipping the same side of the coin as you remember by hand. Also, there is plenty of software available to help you sharpen up and clarify your images. I hope this helps and apologize if I was a bit long winded. As a former Engineer, I tend to do that.. 893blahblah.gif

The best way to find nice coins from the early to mid 1800s is to go the major coin shows and look at as many coins as possible. The second best way is have a good working relationship with an honest coin dealer who really knows his or her stuff and who is willing to work your want list.

Shopping for coins on Ebay is well down the list IMO. It's slightly higher than buying coins from a guy who calls you on the telephone from out of the blue (cold call boiler room marketing) and buying coins from the Home Shopping Club.

If you are going to make a living selling coins on Ebay, you will need to overgrade your offerings. The mark-ups are too low to make it with honest coins.

Good info everyone. I don't have any good dealers around here and I took a look at the Coin Exchange and found some nice coins. I also found the same cleaned [!@#%^&^] that I find on Ebay, but at least the pictures were a lot better so I can be certain of what I would be buying.

I tried to scans some proof nickels last night that have some wonderful toning, but they just reflect light so much I couldn't capture the colors. I even tilted the coin in all directions, but to know avail.

I'll keep tinkering around and also try my digital camera to see what I can come up with. flowerred.gif