• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

William Idler Merchant Token MULE silver. How rare?

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've used the boards, but I am really stumped on this one. I have a (C1860) Baltimore MD M-PA-216/223 Mule Silver "Medal" or token William Idler, graded AU 58 by NGC.

After scouring the net, and my token books, the only things I can find about this coin is that it was designed by Robert Lovett, Jr. for William Idler. It was supposedly to resemble the Confederate Cent, and made in Brass, Copper, & copper-nickel.

The fact that it was made of silver makes it a "mule."

My question is, how rare is this sucker, and what's the premium?

Thanks in advance for all your help?

MDC1860BALTIMOREM-PA-216223.jpg

A mule is if a token is struck with an entirely different type of obverse or reverse die other then intended.

This issue was also struck and issued in silver as I've handled two higher graded examples in the last few years and have seen others.

As far as rarity it shows up about the same or maybe just a tad less then the examples struck on other planchet metals.

It was actually supposed to resemble a Baltimore Penny not a Confederate Cent.

Struck in the following metals... Silver, Copper, Copper-Nickel, Brass, Bronze, Nickel, & Silvered White Metal.

That's why I have grown to hate the net a little. Accurate info is sometimes hard to come by. So, there's nothing really special about this coin?

No it's not unique in any fashion just valued a bit higher as it's struck in silver.

But as far as rarity all the metals beyond copper surface at about the same quantity per year.

As far as the internet is concerned... Most all the books I reach for researching exonumia have been printed between the 1850's to 1960's.