• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got some good news!

21 posts in this topic

Some of you know that I also collect medals, both foreign and domestic.

Well, I have two medals (actually three but I'll explain below) that were produced by Medallic Art Company in 1960. I've had them for about 7-8 years, but I never got around to asking NGC if they would grade them. Since I will be driving to the FUN Show in January, I decided to post my question on "Ask NGC", and much to my delight, these medals are on their "eligible list".

I've posted photos of these medals before, but here they are again. The "USS Enterprise" and the "350th Anniversary of Santa Fe". Both of these medals are about 4.5 ozs. of .999 fine silver, and the Santa Fe has a twin in bronze (both Santa Fe's were encased in a Capital holder).

Chris

132328.jpg.27e62061f8eaf5ac86949add653ebede.jpg

132329.jpg.585813f1a5d3bee9fcf67ae63ab29dbf.jpg

132330.jpg.17193ac188ad7443017a4c4930ff4f03.jpg

132331.jpg.b7a7922babd37bb9fde4f39c7d66cc88.jpg

132332.jpg.291bae9837442418581b80087c72b312.jpg

The Enterprise one is sure to be a collectible now that it has been decommissioned. My company is working on disassembling the reactors now.

I was reading the history of the ship, and there is still some discussion about whether to build a new Enterprise.

Chris

Jason, I thought they weren't decommissioning the Enterprise until 2015? So that it could early retire at 55.

I spent 4 yrs 1 month and 27 days aboard that sucker!

On another note, Chris, the Enterprise also has a bronze version of of the silver, I recently picked up two of them and a silver version as well as the HK-578 which is the SCD version of that medal. When I get my camera all setup again I'll snap some shots of the three.

Jason, I thought they weren't decommissioning the Enterprise until 2015? So that it could early retire at 55.

On another note, Chris, the Enterprise also has a bronze version of of the silver, I recently picked up two of them and a silver version as well as the HK-578 which is the SCD version of that medal. When I get my camera all setup again I'll snap some shots of the three.

Apparently, they have moved up the deactivation so that it will be completed in 2015. Of course, it may have something to do with the one-time increase of $857 million for depot maintenance.

And, there is a petition apparently being circulated requesting that the next nuclear-powered carrier to be built be named Enterprise.

Yes, I would love to see photos of your bronze Enterprise medals.

I like the way the size of the medal makes the Morgan dollar appear the size of a Lincoln cent.

(thumbs u

Can you imagine carrying dollar coins that size in your pocket?

Chris

Apparently, they have moved up the deactivation so that it will be completed in 2015. Of course, it may have something to do with the one-time increase of $857 million for depot maintenance.

And, there is a petition apparently being circulated requesting that the next nuclear-powered carrier to be built be named Enterprise.

Yes, I would love to see photos of your bronze Enterprise medals.

Right now it is in Norfolk. They are disassembling the reactors there, for shipment to Idaho were they will be processed. After the reactors are out, it will be towed to California where the rest of the ship will be taken apart and turned into razor blades.

My company is currently designing the A1B core for the new carrier, but I haven't heard what it will be called.

Is NGC going to put that rather large medal into one of those hockey puck holders or do they have a special shell?

They are 63mm, so they will have to go into the oversized holder. I have both the silver and bronze medals of the Santa Fe, and I would like both of them in the same slab. I wish I had the bronze medal for the Enterprise so I could do the same.

Chris

only batting .500 today, i'm stupid

Look at it this way...........500 would get you a multi-million dollar contract in the pros.

Chris

We all know that there will be another Enterprise................the Starship Enterprise, commanded by James Tiberius Kirk.

Yeah, but first you have to get the starship Enterprise built and launched which is commanded by Johnathan Archer...

Live long and prosper....