• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: Forum Technical Question - Problems with PM Notification Function

14 posts in this topic

I have a technical problem with the forum, and I was hoping that someone else might have a solution. When I receive a PM that has not been read, I am accustomed to seeing a flashing mailbox icon on the upper menu; however, the last few times that I have been to the forum I have not seen the icon at all despite the fact that I actually had PMs (both new and one or two that were inadvertently overlooked).

How does one remedy this problem?

P.S. I am using Mac OS X 10.8.1. and Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2.

This would explain the 3 to 5 days before replies to messages sent. I guess we just need to check regularly for a while until they get the light bulb changed for the icon.

Later--Rick

I have a technical problem with the forum, and I was hoping that someone else might have a solution. When I receive a PM that has not been read, I am accustomed to seeing a flashing mailbox icon on the upper menu; however, the last few times that I have been to the forum I have not seen the icon at all despite the fact that I actually had PMs (both new and one or two that were inadvertently overlooked).

How does one remedy this problem?

P.S. I am using Mac OS X 10.8.1. and Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2.

I have noticed the same problem, but can't figure out what the pattern is. It's almost as if the flashing envelope disappears at random. However, that spot on the screen (just right of "MY STUFF") can still be clicked anytime to access PMs.

I've simply gotten into the habit of clicking that spot whether or there is an icon there.

Whenever I sign on I see a brief flash of the PM envelope before the full page loads. From my old time programming days, that suggests some type of subroutine error or incorrect object call. If so, then something similar might be creating the PM envelope problem described by the OP.

It's possible you have either a plugin or some kind of add on that stops animated gifs from looping.

The issue occurs at random for me... or at least it seems random. I do not believe my browser (FireFox) has any add-ons that would be causing the problem.

It's possible you have either a plugin or some kind of add on that stops animated gifs from looping.

The issue occurs at random for me... or at least it seems random. I do not believe my browser (FireFox) has any add-ons that would be causing the problem.

James,

I sent you a couple of PM's on the 26th that are showing unread.

• Administrator

It's also possible that the animated image is cached in your system, and that cache is no long animating it.

Try clearing out your cache and see if it works.