• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint is Releasing a 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set…WHY?

12 posts in this topic

What is going on with the US MINT? According to Mint News Blog the mint is releasing 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set, which is scheduled for release on November 27, 2012. The 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set will include the following proof coins:

silverproof.jpg

• American Silver Eagle with W mint mark

• 5 Quarters in 90% silver

• 1 Half Dollar in 90% silver

• 1 Dime in 90% silver

At a price of $149.95. with a 50,000 maximum mintage two per house hold. That is $22.05 more if you would have got just the Silver Proof Set and a ASE which total together $127.90. So in reality one is paying $22 more just for packaging.

So someone tell me what is limited about this package? I have 1 2012 Silver Proof Set, a couple of ASE Proof coin, 5 2012 ATB Quarters 90% Silver NGC PF70s, One 2012 NGC PF70 Kennedy half dollar in 90% silver and one 2012 Silver Roosevelt Dime NGC PF70 UC so why would I buy this limited edition silver proof set?

Oh yes I have the 2012-S San Francisco Two-Coin Proof Set which I thought would be exclusive at the time which turn out not to be. So WTF US Mint….greed.

Hapy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

They want to kill the industry like the US post office did with their 20 commemoratives a year. But before they do, they want to get as much profit as possible.

What is going on with the US MINT? According to Mint News Blog the mint is releasing 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set, which is scheduled for release on November 27, 2012. The 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set will include the following proof coins:

silverproof.jpg

• American Silver Eagle with W mint mark

• 5 Quarters in 90% silver

• 1 Half Dollar in 90% silver

• 1 Dime in 90% silver

At a price of $149.95. with a 50,000 maximum mintage two per house hold. That is $22.05 more if you would have got just the Silver Proof Set and a ASE which total together $127.90. So in reality one is paying $22 more just for packaging.

So someone tell me what is limited about this package? I have 1 2012 Silver Proof Set, a couple of ASE Proof coin, 5 2012 ATB Quarters 90% Silver NGC PF70s, One 2012 NGC PF70 Kennedy half dollar in 90% silver and one 2012 Silver Roosevelt Dime NGC PF70 UC so why would I buy this limited edition silver proof set?

Oh yes I have the 2012-S San Francisco Two-Coin Proof Set which I thought would be exclusive at the time which turn out not to be. So WTF US Mint….greed.

Hapy Collecting,

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

This one is meant to commemorate the end of the world, of course; though a 2013 release date could prove problematic.

The half dollar should have a walking zombie...

HUH????

I don't know what this is, but I agree with the idea the one of the coins in these set needs to be unique to the set.

OP

It's just another way for the Mint to gouge the collectors. They probably felt that they didn't sell enough of the normal silver proof sets, so they changed the packaging, added the SAE and raised the price.

I recall back in 2001 or 2002, you could buy one of everything from the Mint for about $6K, then it went to $8K and by 2008, it was about $18K. That's when I quit buying from the Mint.

Chris