• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading English Hammered Gold

6 posts in this topic

I have a Henry VI gold noble that I would like to get graded, but the NGC site says it only grades Great Britain from 1662 - present. I tried to contact NGC via email but never got a reply. Can anyone please tell me if I can get this coin graded by NGC or do I have to submit it as an ancient? I have submitted German States coins prior to 1700 and had no problem, but it states that NGC only grades German States from 1700 - present.

Thanks...

The list they have up is horribly inaccurate and has been for 10+ years. It's missing countries they grade, lists incorrect cut off dates, lists things based on date that includes stuff they won't grade, etc. It probably generates more lost submissions than actual business for NGC. The maddening thing is that it would probably take an hour of their time to get a list together of what they will actually grade.

NGC will (generally) grade:

• Non-cast coins listed in the Krause SCWC books.
  • English/Scottish/Irish coins listed listed in Spink,
  • French coins listed in Roberts, Mazard, & Gadoury books.
  • Germany coins listed in Krause German Coins book.
  • European coins listed in Saurmasche Munzsammlung (Saurma).
  • Polish coins listed in Gumowski.
  • Italian coins listed in CNI.
  • Crowns listed in Davenport.
  • Gold coins listed in Friedberg.
  • Spanish coins listed in Cayon.
  • Hungarian coins listed in Huszar.
  • A small percentage of the "coins" listed in the Krause Unusual World Coins book.

That's not to mention all the stuff that is not listed like Essais, patterns, and medals.

Also, I suspect with enough pointing to a reference book and a call to NGC, you could get them to grade a lot more.

I have also seen NGC holders with Hern and Gilboy catalog numbers. Hern is the South African equivalent of the US "Red Book" and Gilboy is the most comprehensive reference book for Spanish colonial pillars, especially minors.

But if you have a coin that is in a normally graded series that is NOT listed in a "recognized" catalog or reference, I doubt it will be graded. I once bought a three coin set of 1952 South African silver plated "patterns" (penny, half penny and farthing) from the Cayon auction firm. NGC sent them back as "artificially toned". When I called and asked, the real reason was because they are unlisted, so the assumption they made was that the silver plating was added AFTER they were struck, since the circulating issues are bronze.

Where these coins legitimate? I do not know. I simply relied on Cayon's claim and in my correspondence with them, they said that they came from a reliable souirce though they could give me no documentation.

This in contrast to the recently graded South Africa 1928 SP-63 six pence which was sold by Heritage for $155,000. Previously, London Coins sold it ungraded for about $6000. Somehow, the buyer was able to support its legitimacy and get it graded. I believe this coin is covered in the NGC archives but if not, in the Heritage auction listing.

There are some coins that I would love to get encased as a Genuine Coin: Like a Perfect US 1870 red cent that has been whizzed, but otherwise would be a mint state coin. (I am not endorsing coin whizzing in any way) But this coin has been cleaned very well and the edges have been left uncleaned to show the natural tone, Im not sure if this used to be a common practice but a coin like this is more deserving of a proper grade and encasement...However if submitted it would be slanderd with an IMPROPERLEY CLEANED DETAILS Grade and snubbed, and shunned like an Omish Outcast...