• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picked this confederate bill up on my last trip.....

16 posts in this topic

I am not really sure ... to be honest I was not quite sure who the man was.... But I have not seen many of those in a shop... so I pounced on it when I had the chance... Is there a price guide for these things?

Looks more like the profile of Jefferson Davis than of Lincoln. Heck, it even looks more like Andrew Jackson than of Lincoln.

Looks more like the profile of Jefferson Davis than of Lincoln. Heck, it even looks more like Andrew Jackson than of Lincoln.

Beard under the chin and the thin profile with prominent nose - looks like Lincoln to me.

Of course, I'm not as old as you, Tom, and was not personally acquainted with Davis and his contemporaries as you are. insane.gif

Hoot

Hoot, it's Jefferson Davis. It's a Type 63 note with bust of Jefferson Davis. I should know, after all, I was one of his groomsmen at his wedding to Zachary Taylor's daughter in 1835! 893whatthe.gif

It's not Lincoln; it's Jeff Davis, guys.

This was the Confederate government's one foray (in 1863 and ’64) into the world of fractional currency. The trouble was inflation was so bad by this time that 50 cents won't buy much of anything.

As the Confederate government got more disparate they issued more and more paper money. Here’s a $500 note that appeared during the Confederacy’s last 14 months of life. It’s not rare, but it’s popular because of Stonewall Jackson’s portrait at the lower right.

547078-Confed500SM.JPG

Finally the combination of over saturating the money supply and governmental collapse made it all worthless, until collectors got interested in it.

547078-Confed500SM.JPG.b55bec0c272e596ce149b57f86deca1c.JPG

Once Tom chimed in, I knew I was off track. Having been Jeff Davis' groomsman, I simply can't argue with the fellow. makepoint.gif

But now I'm sure that Elvis is still alive, and perhaps the son of Stonewall Jackson. And Jefferson Davis was surely Lincoln's twin, separated at birth. gossip.gif

Hoot

But now I'm sure that Elvis is still alive, and perhaps the son of Stonewall Jackson. And Jefferson Davis was surely Lincoln's twin, separated at birth.

Well, I don't see how I could argue that one! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You'll like this one, Hoot, and I am pretty certain that I will get some details wrong. However, the bulk of the idea will be correct.

Some time after Lincoln's death there was a speculator who bought what was purportedly the log cabin of Lincoln's birthplace. His idea was that he would take the cabin around the country and make money through tourist sales. It didn't work. So, it went in storage, piece-by-piece. Similarly, the log cabin of purportedly of Davis's birthplace was purchased and was also taken apart and stored. Eventually, the same person owned both cabins and, through repeated moving and setting up rituals, the logs became hopelessly intermingled! 893whatthe.gif What is now displayed as Lincoln's birthplace is a cabin made from a mixture of the logs from these two cabins. What's worse, to make the cabin more "fitted" to its monument, the logs were cut down in length so the building would be smaller! True story. 893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif

So now we have the Jefferson Lincoln cabin? Or the Abraham Davis cabin? Great story! thumbsup2.gif What irony.

Hoot

According to the History Channel, the wood in the "Abe Lincoln" cabin dates from the mid 1840s. Since the "Great Emancipator" was born in 1809 it looks like they didn’t find the right building. devil.gif

If they show it again, I think that the name of the show was, "The Real Lincoln."