• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cent Obverse Die

9 posts in this topic

Well, after the thread on mint dies, I had to get me one! I just got this in the mail today, it is a 1968-S cent obverse die. Most of the detail was torched off, but you can still see part of the rim, and the 8 from the date (not sure if this shows up in the pictures). So here it is, an interesting behind the scenes piece of numismatics!

die1.jpg

die2.jpg

What's the point of defacing a 1c die? It makes no sense at all. What, someone is going to counterfeit 1c coins? Gimme a break.....the mint could make a lot more dough if they didn't blow the die face off before selling it.......

I actually found it on eBay, and bought it for $13.50 including shipping and insurance. There were others, but the more details remaining the higher the price, and I'd rather spend the money on coins! You can barely make out the 8 which ironically enough is at about 8 o'clock on the bottom picture.

Well coinosaurus, it has much to do with government regulation, and from what I understand, these were supposed to be sold as scrap metal and made their way to the collector market so they really didn't care about the condition, so a torch was most efficient. They did release some from a 1996 commem with just an X ground in them, but some error dealers apparently alerted the mint that they could still be used to create "error" coins, that would be a problem among collectors. So now all of them are defaced completely before they leave the mint.

Just a follow-on to the counterfeit issue... the most prolifically counterfeited coin of the 20th century was the 1944 nickel - by one man... can you name him? Can you name the year he "made his fortune" and how many he made? smile.gif

Hoot