• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1739 Spain Coin- Pics Added!!

25 posts in this topic

I know most here don't venture to the darkside, so I thought I'd post this here also.

I can't post pics til I get home sunday but I'd like to ask for help here. My wife's grandfather has a 1739 Spaniard coin. I looked it up and it's supposed to be one of those pieces of 8 shipwreck coins. He says he's had this coin in a 2x2 since 1968. It's in great condition details wise, but feels a little rough (environmental issues?). Anyway, is there some things I need to look for right off the bat for authenticity? I know pics will help and I'll try to get some posted sunday. Thanks for any help!

Ok here it is. It's the size of an SAE and weighs 20.68g I'm presuming this has some major pvc damage. Is it worth anything??? Thanks!!

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5964.jpg

A picture's going to be worth a thousand words here. Obvious things are weight and feel. Look for lettering that seems wrong. Compare with Heritage or perhaps CRO archives. You'll get plenty of opinions Sunday when you post pics.

You did not specify but I presume this is a cob and if so, most likely from Bolivia identified by the "PTS" fopr Potosi. Otherwise, if the coin is from one of the Spanish mints, it will contain the crown on the obverse and the quartered lions and castles on the reverse.

Bobby,

In Sewall Menzel's book, Cobs, Pieces of Eight and Treasure Coins,

it states that pieces of 8 from the Mexico mint with the assayers initials MF (Manuel de Leon & Francisco Antonio de la Pena) were only minted in 1733 & 1734.

The image Sewall uses in his book is dated 1733. Your coin looks the same to me except for the date.

Bobby,

it states that pieces of 8 from the Mexico mint with the assayers initials MF (Manuel de Leon & Francisco Antonio de la Pena) were only minted in 1733 & 1734.

The image Sewall uses in his book is dated 1733. Your coin looks the same to me except for the date.

I did find This 1739 on ebay that looks just like it.

Bobby,

I did find This 1739 on ebay that looks just like it.

Your right, it does look the same. Hopefully someone will chime in with a definite answer.

TwoKopeiki collects 8 reales so maybe he could help out.

It's been interesting trying to run down information on your coin.

Bobby,

Since making the above earlier post, I have found examples of this coin with dates other than just 1733 & 1734 so I believe I've misread or mis-interpreted the information I read in the book.

It's not real. The lettering, strike and overall balance are far too well done to be a genuine product. It is likely quite modern.

Hey Tom, what is considered modern fakes for these. Her grandpa says he's had it since 1968. Thanks!

The weight and fineness of the 8 reals coins were the basis for the standards for our silver dollar and they tried to make our coin as close as possible to the same weight of silver. Our dollar was 26.96 grams. No way that standard could come from a 20.68 gram coin. So as soon as I saw the weight figure I knew it had to be fake even though I didn't know what the legal standard for the 8 reales was. (The fineness of the two coins were different but not enough to account for that much weight difference. .892 fine for the US dollar compared to .902 for the 8 reales.)

• Administrator

Conder is correct about the weight, of course. If you ever want to see an image of an authentic world coin and get weight/composition specifications, look no further than our World Coin Price Guide:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/WorldCoinPrices.aspx?category=1549&worldcoinid=7338