• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two odd finds in an older box.

12 posts in this topic

I was digging through some of my boxes of world coins that I had bought when I was younger and I stumbled across two interesting pieces. I’m not sure what they are or what they are worth, and I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me out, because I’m completely lost. The pictures are not the best, and they don’t reflect the color or toning of either pieces, they look significantly better in hand!

Here is the first item:

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/ngccoins023.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/ngccoins018.jpg

Here is the second item:

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/ngccoins001.jpg

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/ngccoins002.jpg

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Interesting pieces. I don't know much about either except that I am nearly sure both are tokens/medallions rather than business strike coins, so I wouldn't go looking for them in Krause.

Yeah, I gathered that too, seeing no denominations or any trace of them anywhere, in the book or online. I guess they are some kind of commemorative medallions, I’m hoping someone will recognize them because other than that info I’m lost.

Don't really know anything about them but the first is a religious medal, probably commemorating the church seen in the second picture. The first picture represents the Virgin mary and the first part of the inscription is part of the catholic liturgy "Hail Mary Mother of God" A translation of the inscription from the other side would probably clear thing up somewhat.

The second medal is a satirical medal against Napoleon III, Emperor of France. The general design is similar to the coins of Napoleon III but the Emperor is shown wearing a Prussian Helmet. The inscription is Napoleon III the Miserable. The word Sedan on his neck refers to the Battle of Sedan where 150,000 Prussians fought against Napoleon III and 120,000 French, where on Sept 1 1870 they encircled the French and forced the surrender of over 80,000 French soldiers and the Emperor. With the capture of the Emperor the Second French Empire fell and the third republic took over. the inscriptions on the reverse refer to Napoleon as the Vampire of France and the dates refer to the start and end of the second empire, December 2nd 1851 to September 2nd 1870.

Thanks for the info. Well, I now know aht the second medal is, but what in the world is the first medal, religious in nature sure but who issued it and what exactly was its purpose? Do you happen to know of anyone in particular that I could contact to ask? Thanks in advance.

As I suspected translating the other side explains it. This is a pilgrimage medal. In the Muslem faith one is expected to at least once in their life to make a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca. In the Catholic faith there are many churches that are reputed to contain holy relics of the Saints, the true cross etc. These churches are often the destinations of believers who make a journey or pilgrimage to the church to offer a special prayer. This medal is apparently given to those who make a pilgrimage to the church pictured on the reverse of the medal. The inscription translates as "Pilgrimage to the Painful Mother of God in Vilgertshofen." Painful could be sorrowful. Vilgerstofen is a city in Bavaria, Germany

Very interesting info Conder thank you so much, I have shown this item to many people and you are the first one to develop a logical answer. I recently stumbled across your post of slab varieties, that too is great information and since has inspired me to actively pursue older slabs when available. Once again thanks for the info, and the inspiration for a new facet of collecting!

Conder's information is correct. A more accurate translation is

"Pilgrimage to Our Lady of Sorrows [shrine] in Vilgertshofen"

Can you tell me what the text under the church says? It's likely the engravers name, but I can't make out the letters in your photo (they are out of focus). Also, if possible can you check the edge of the piece for any text or markings? Provide the weight in grams and diameter in mm?

Thanks,

-Brandon

PS -- For the side of the medal with Mary on it, the correct translation is: "Holy Mary Mother of God at Vilgertshofen, Pray for Us"

Thanks brg for the clarification, I looked closer at the medal tonight and the inscription under the church reads G. Drentwett which as you mentioned is most likely the engravers name. I don’t have a true way of getting the diameter; but it sits comfortably within a quarter and a half dollar, so as a rough estimate I would say around 26mm. There are no marking on the edge of the medal, and the surfaces of the medal when in hand have proof-like features. I can’t measure the weight in grams mainly because I just don’t have a scale with me, and the fact that I’m pretty sure my university would frown upon me having one on campus. The edge is plain, no reading or pattern and there appears to be irregular “wavy” lines marking the side of the coin, they are not uniform. If you need more pictures or more specific answers to questions please let me know, my response may be a bit slow because I’m a full time student and hold an administrative job on campus as well so free time is very limited. Thanks again for the info!

The diesinker's name is helpful, but I'm not able to find any information specific to your medal. His full name is Gottfried Drentwett, and he was active from around 1850-1880 in Augsburg (very near to where Vilgertshofen is). He seems to have been extremely prolific in the medal making world, with likely hundreds of different medals produced during his lifetime. I wish I could find some information for you specific to your medal regarding production, year, etc. but I have exhausted my internet sleuth skills. ;)

Best of luck! It looks to be a pretty darned cool religious pilgrimage medal.

Regards,

-Brandon

Thank you Brandon for looking, I tried but I turned up with a total loss. The information about the engraver is helpful so I now have a time frame for when the piece was made. I don’t remember ever purchasing this piece, but then again it was in a box that I had started about 5 years ago, why couldn’t this happen but the item turn out to be an “ultra rarity”! It’s still a very interesting item, it looks a lot better in hand, the toning is great and the overall condition is not bad. Thanks again for the help!

Don.