• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contemporary Counterfeit 1823 Capped Bust 50C...

14 posts in this topic

I just found this rare, contemporary counterfeit Capped Bust half dollar over the weekend!

Does anyone have a copy of Davignon's Contemporary Counterfeit Bust Half Dollars to look up the variety?

1823o50.jpg

1823r50.jpg

These "Contemporary Counterfeits were created in the 1830s and/or 1840s to use in circulation, not to fool collectors. Typically, they are a debased silver alloy (probably something like copper, tin, and silver); if they had been made from silver, there would not have been any money to be made in the exchange.

These are highly collectible and I'm surprised there have been almost no reponses!

I just found this rare, contemporary counterfeit Capped Bust half dollar over the weekend!

Does anyone have a copy of Davignon's Contemporary Counterfeit Bust Half Dollars to look up the variety?

Please be careful of your use of such numismatic terms as "rare" :) . If it hasn't been attributed yet, then there is no formal indication of rarity.

It is a Davignon 1-A, and as it turns out, it's one of the most common CCs of all. I probably own about four of them or so.

The graffiti impacts the value significantly, but I have been able to buy these for about $20 to $30. Without the damage, it could be worth more like $60.

I have a copy of Davignon's work, but was offline due to Hurricane Sandy. However, it appears that James has given you wonderful information. Personally, I think the piece is wonderful.

Please be careful of your use of such numismatic terms as "rare" :) . If it hasn't been attributed yet, then there is no formal indication of rarity.

It is a Davignon 1-A, and as it turns out, it's one of the most common CCs of all. I probably own about four of them or so.

The graffiti impacts the value significantly, but I have been able to buy these for about $20 to $30. Without the damage, it could be worth more like $60.

Thanks for the attribution, James!

I was just using the terminology and stats of the author. According to the article I posted above, Davignon uses the term "common" to describe a population of between 10 and 19 coins known. By anyones measure, that is not a common issue, and under the standard rarity scale, that's a high R-6, and considered Very Rare. Also, there may be as few as 2500 known to survive, from all 339 varieties.

Some interesting facts to put this in perspective:

Average daily wage of skilled labor (carpenters, mechanics, etc) in 1825:

Male -

Farm labor: 28c/day (includes board)

Nonfarm Labor: $1/day

Mason:$1.62/day

Carpenters: $1.45/day

Cotton Textiles: $1.08/day

Female -

Servants: 18c/day

Cotton Textiles: 41c/day

Keeping in mind that in 1825 there was no such thing as an 8 hour work day, nor a 40 hour work week. People worked 6 days a week, 12 hours or more a day.

So 50 cents would be worth about 4 hours of the most skilled laborers' work, and 6 hours of the textile workers.

In today's dollars, very, very roughly, based on the average pay rate for a Journeyman (non-Union) carpenter of $35/hour, that 50 cents is worth about $140 today.

Quite a substantial bit of money, and well worth the counterfeiter's time.

source: http://www.nber.org/chapters/c2486.pdf