• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Confusing Auction Description

18 posts in this topic

I'm running some eBay auctions right now and one appears to be confusing some people and intriguing others.

This is the one: 1938 50c NGC PF64* (STAR) - CAMEO - TRUE AUCTION

I've received more email on it that any other auction I've ever run. However, there have been TWO people who contacted me about it indicating that they believed from my description that the coin were a full cameo and graded as such by NGC . One said they contacted NGC about this and NGC does not acknowledge this coin as a cameo. The other person says that I am representing this as a true cameo certified by NGC (and they offered to buy it outright from me).

Is this auction confusing to anyone? Does anyone think that I am representing this coin as an NGC designated cameo? I'm using the same basic auction format for this coin as I have for the last 500 coins I've auctioned. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Oh, yes, very confusing. I really think you should cancel the auction right away. The sooner the better so you don't annoy the bidders. Then, with the other bidders taken care of, I will gladly take that coin off your hands!

It sure does look sweet! To avoid confusion I might have described it as near Cameo, or Super Frosty devices or something like that.

It doesn't confuse me. I understand it has contrast and didn't get the designation, but then I actually looked at the pic (including the label).

BTW - I'm still looking. Man, that's a pretty piece.

I'd have listed it '(Cameo)' instead of, 'Cameo' in the title, but otherwise, you're fine.

Your photo is clear as well as your description. Again, to be totally fair though, it is easy for some to mistake the coin as an NGC Cameo coin...

I can see how one might be confused reading only the auction title, but it's quite clear once you read the full description. Anyone that bids $500+ on a coin without reading all the fine print is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person anyway, so you're probably just hearing form them.

Lovely looking coin, BTW.

-JamminJ

I can see how one might be confused reading only the auction title, but it's quite clear once you read the full description. Anyone that bids $500+ on a coin without reading all the fine print is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person anyway, so you're probably just hearing form them.

Lovely looking coin, BTW.

-JamminJ

27_laughing.gif EVP! Your on! 27_laughing.gif

Leo popcorn.gif

The title of the auction is slightly ambiguous, however, if one were to take the time to either read the description, or look at the picture, there could be no possible confusion.

No problems--you've got to be stupid to simply not see where the label doesn't say CAMEO, or where you say graded PF64*

On an aside, that's one gorgeous piece! I wish I had more money!

Jeremy

Only the auction title is slightly confusing, as people who see it or do a search on the cameo designation may be taken aback that the NGC label that then does not read Cameo.

But the picture tells all and anyone taking the time to seriously consider the coin should not be confused.

Get some numbskull buying it, however, and you could still end up on eBay's sh-t list.

Hoot

I'd have listed it '(Cameo)' instead of, 'Cameo' in the title, but otherwise, you're fine.

Your photo is clear as well as your description. Again, to be totally fair though, it is easy for some to mistake the coin as an NGC Cameo coin...

I don't list things with (...) since that might screw up the searches people run. If someone searches Cameo and I use (Cameo), will it still show up in the search? I've always used - XXX format since it leaves the word that is going to be searched by itself and it separates the word from the grade.

And I always include the slab insert in the auction. I figure if there is any doubt based on my written description, the insert should be the be all end all answer.

Hey, what's the deal with all the foreign coins you sell. Could it be you're now a true 'darksider'. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's really hard to make money with modern US stuff, so now I'm doing high grade foreign. Since I'm searching dealers inventory for talers and interesting foreign, I pull the high grade stuff out at the same time. It's pretty profitable! Rather surprising the number of people chasing after certified high grade foreign.

Greg, I also could understand someone misinterpreting the heading as written. But as others have said, anyone truly interested in the coin would read the entire listing and description.

As for "cameo"searches, you could have left the word out of the heading but put it in the description. Searches ask you if you want just headings or to include descriptions for the key word as well. It may well be that most people rely on the heading for their searches to give them all the info pertinent to the coin(s) they're looking for, so to put it in the heading may be misleading to some and they may consider it misrepresenting the coin.

And that is one truly beautifully struck coin!

You all probably know this but the pops are extremely low for any of the WLH date proofs in cameo and furthermore, I think this coin should fetch at least 10% of that $15000! Why the grade MS64? Is the reverse slightly gold toned?

I have never heard of any 1938 cameo nickels! I have one with moderate obverse and light reverse frost and have seen another like it.

VN PR WLH!

Leo

Why the grade MS64?

A couple of deep hairlines on the obverse above IGWT.

Is the reverse slightly gold toned?

Nope. It's 100% brilliant.