• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS-68 Mercury observation

3 posts in this topic

Just purchased my 3rd of these today (this time a 1941-D), and all of them are in fatty NGC holders. A bit of research on Heritage shows that of the MS-68 Mercs in all years, quite a large percentage of them are in the NGC fatty holders.

So why would this be -- NGC was liberal on these?; the fatty holders don't get cracked out much?; a lot of these surfaced during the era of the holders?

Bear in mind, there are not many of these graded MS-68 in the first place, so perhaps it is just coincidence?

Interested in opinions.

Thank You.

Here's the one I picked up today.

42d_merc_obv.jpg

42d_merc_rev.jpg

As I recall NGC was really the one who broke the "MS68" barrier in the early 90s. As a few of these (and some Barber coinage as I recall) were graded 68. I've seen a good number of early graded MS68s from NGC and only a few seemed "special" to me. I owned a 1945 that was pretty wild color at one time and for a long time still the only one graded (I don't know if that has changed as I don't have access to the NGC pops anymore). However, many seemed to me just plain ol' gems.

Is it liberal? Probably but really it comes down to what you paid for it. From the photos it doesn't look particularly special that you'd think would garner such a high grade. It still might be a nice coin...just buried in a holder.

jom

man i almost bought that one, i have been buying mercs in older NGC holders for awhile now, for some reason, to me, they look better in the old holders than the new ones, but that is just a personal thing.