• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like Teletrade

31 posts in this topic

Excellent service, and the freebies are nice to get - just be alert so that your bonus points don't expire. The phone number thing was mostly meant as a tongue-in-chin comment.

Yeah. Teletrade is OK.

Their images have been getting better, as has their customer service. Unlike Stacks & Bowers (which is owned by the same company), Teletrade ships its coins in a reasonable amount of time.

I have purchased coins from the following auctions: Heritage, Stacks, Stacks Bowers, Bowers and Merena, Superior, ANR, Goldberg, Rumsay, eBay, Great Collections, David Lawrence, Scotsman, and Legend. I have never purchased a coin from Teletrade.

I have purchased coins from the following auctions: Heritage, Stacks, Stacks Bowers, Bowers and Merena, Superior, ANR, Goldberg, Rumsay, eBay, Great Collections, David Lawrence, Scotsman, and Legend. I have never purchased a coin from Teletrade.

How do you buy coins? The overwhelming majority of my collection has come from the sources you just listed.

Yeah. Teletrade is OK.

Their images have been getting better, as has their customer service. Unlike Stacks & Bowers (which is owned by the same company), Teletrade ships its coins in a reasonable amount of time.

Agree! Their images are super.

My best Teletrade purchase. Bought it as a 65FBL, since regraded to 65+* FBL:

If you boys will pardon the little detour, I have a couple questions on this coin.

(1) If you'll ignore the lovely tarnish for a moment, do these 1963 FBLs actually go in the marketplace at what the price guides say they go at (i.e., are the 1963 FBLs indeed that hard a find, as compared to the 1963-D FBLs)? I always wondered at that.

(2) Considering how this coin did tarnish, just a general question, is there anything about coins that causes them to be inclined to tarnish from the perimeter inward, as this one evidently had? I think I know this much, that progression has nothing to do with the way the coins are stored. The reason I think I can say that is, I have coins I had bulk-stored in plastic bags that later toned from the perimeter inward, just as this one apparently had. I can't imagine what the explanation would be. There's some kind of scientific explanation for that familiar progression, though, one would think.

My best Teletrade purchase. Bought it as a 65FBL, since regraded to 65+* FBL:

If you boys will pardon the little detour, I have a couple questions on this coin.

(1) If you'll ignore the lovely tarnish for a moment, do these 1963 FBLs actually go in the marketplace at what the price guides say they go at (i.e., are the 1963 FBLs indeed that hard a find, as compared to the 1963-D FBLs)? I always wondered at that.

(2) Considering how this coin did tarnish, just a general question, is there anything about coins that causes them to be inclined to tarnish from the perimeter inward, as this one evidently had? I think I know this much, that progression has nothing to do with the way the coins are stored. The reason I think I can say that is, I have coins I had bulk-stored in plastic bags that later toned from the perimeter inward, just as this one apparently had. I can't imagine what the explanation would be. There's some kind of scientific explanation for that familiar progression, though, one would think.

Yes, the 1963 is indeed that hard to find comparatively. If you don't believe me, just try finding one - and see how many 63D's there are compared to 63's. And yes, they go for the premium listed in the price guides - I paid $1300 for this, as opposed to $120 for my 63D.

As for the colour, if I had to guess I would say it probably spent a few years in an album.

Yes, the 1963 is indeed that hard to find comparatively. If you don't believe me, just try finding one - and see how many 63D's there are compared to 63's. And yes, they go for the premium listed in the price guides - I paid $1300 for this, as opposed to $120 for my 63D.

That's what I wanted to hear. I have one in gem, blast white. I also have a 1939-D dime, full torch. Were it a 1939 full torch, it would be worth considerably more. Same reason, I'd imagine. The 1939-D is common in full torch, while the 1939 just isn't.

How do you buy coins? The overwhelming majority of my collection has come from the sources you just listed.

Perhaps you misread...I have bought coins from all of the mentioned auction firms, but never Teletrade. That said, most of my coins have been purchased from dealers and other collectors.

Put me in the "not a big fan of TT" category. I've purchased a couple dozen coins from them over the past 10 years, but most of them were before 2006. I see some members here have had success with TT (to be fair, I have too on a few occasions) but in my experience a LOT of panning is required to find a nugget. TT has always been--and remains IMHO--a bottom-feeder.

For years, friendly/helpful dealers have funneled coins to them to help them with inventory in a gallant attempt to keep them relevant in the marketplace. But over the past year or so it seems fewer of their coins are selling due to higher reserves, which IMO is the mark of low consignor confidence.

I'm not a hater...I just choose to spend my valuable "coin time" elsewhere. Just my 2c ....

Put me in the "not a big fan of TT" category. I've purchased a couple dozen coins from them over the past 10 years, but most of them were before 2006. I see some members here have had success with TT (to be fair, I have too on a few occasions) but in my experience a LOT of panning is required to find a nugget. TT has always been--and remains IMHO--a bottom-feeder.

For years, friendly/helpful dealers have funneled coins to them to help them with inventory in a gallant attempt to keep them relevant in the marketplace. But over the past year or so it seems fewer of their coins are selling due to higher reserves, which IMO is the mark of low consignor confidence.

I'm not a hater...I just choose to spend my valuable "coin time" elsewhere. Just my 2c ....

EXOJUNKIE, you've got nuggets, where are you going to put them? Wait a minute, move to strike that, that didn't come out right.

Look, you know what I mean. You're going to put them where you can get the biggest bang for them. That hardly means Teletrade is for "bottom-feeders." They're a good outfit, IMHO, and, contrary to what some others have maintained, they've always been. They're just not the "Cadillac" of auctioneers, and they probably never will be. Their inventory is worth the time browsing over, though (again, IMHO); and, in my personal experience, their customer service troubleshoots well, too, at least as well as the big boys.

If it's relevant, I haven't sold on Teletrade, but I've bought, and that's what I'm drawing from. Again, I don't think one can categorically say their inventory is inferior in any real meaningful sense. That's not been my experience, anyway.

They're just not the "Cadillac" of auctioneers, and they probably never will be. Their inventory is worth the time browsing over, though (again, IMHO); and, in my personal experience, their customer service troubleshoots well, too, at least as well as the big boys.

Well, I certainly respect your opinion and can't question your personal experiences. Mine have just been a little different, that's all. However, like I said, I've found a few nuggets over the years with significant effort. The opportunity costs have been high though--too high for me to spend a lot of time on their site when I can be other places.

To draw a comparison, some might say that TT is "the ICG of auctioneers." Some love them, some hate them, and they have a negligible effect on the market.

I don't discount them and I check their site often. I have never found anything that I would buy, personally, but it's still fun to look and it COULD happen. Their images are also, seemingly, VERY accurate, which is a real breath of fresh air.

Excellent service, and the freebies are nice to get - just be alert so that your bonus points don't expire. The phone number thing was mostly meant as a tongue-in-chin comment.

How do u get your freebies? Is there some type of rewards program to sign up for?

Just to go to teletrade.com and you can click on the gold rewards tab.

You get points automatically when you become a member and win coins in auctions. Just a nice incentive,

You sure you got that 1881 MS64* on Teletrade?? I sold that one on eBay not too long ago ;) Definitely a beautiful coin!!

I've gotten some great coins on Teletrade over the years. Flipped some of them for a few quick bucks and others I've kept for the long run... including this one:

1908-S Indian Head Cent NGC MS66RB w/ Eagle Eye Photo Seal

1908sMS66RB.jpg

You sure you got that 1881 MS64* on Teletrade?? I sold that one on eBay not too long ago ;) Definitely a beautiful coin!!

I've gotten some great coins on Teletrade over the years. Flipped some of them for a few quick bucks and others I've kept for the long run... including this one:

1908-S Indian Head Cent NGC MS66RB w/ Eagle Eye Photo Seal

1908sMS66RB.jpg

I loaded the wrong one:( It's still a beauty and i'm keeping it:) Super looking Indian cent...

Al