• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did your coin collecting cause someone else to become a collector too??

19 posts in this topic

to those of you who have been lifelong collectors of coins; a numismatist or whatever you call it

did you ever have someone who saw your passion for collecting coins and start a collection themselves because of you?? and what they saw you do? and again got interested and pursued their own coin collecting passions??

could be anyone

a neighborhood friend or kid? a family member? nephew? son? acquantance? etc??

for myself no one ever caught the coin collecting bug from me :o

My younger brother has always followed (mostly) in my footsteps and has 'liked' many of the same things that I do. He got interested in coins, for a while, but his passion has now faded, unfortunately. :( I wish that he'd have stayed with it.

My sister has become quite interested in collecting. We go to the local show twice a year, and she is assembling a set of Mercs.

Almost as important - I like to think that my time here has influenced some people to collect, or to collect a certain series (I know a couple people have started collecting PL's since I started talking about them). That is the sort of influence that is hard to measure, and you may never know what affect you have had on a lurker.

My grandmother became interested after she saw me with my collection. I don't know how many rolls of cents she went thought building a Lincoln collection. She never finished it, but she did find a few pieces that were worth several dollars. This was back in the late 1960s.

No, but my father had that impact on me as a kid when he bought proof and mint sets every year. I did not return to the hobby until around 5 years ago, too late to influence one of my kids who think I'm a bit nutty now! :screwy:

The first collection I completed was a certified Lincoln wheat pennies set. My friend saw me bidding on a coin on eBay once and he was amazed at how high the bidding got ($375) for "just a penny". I then went on to explain how the mintage, rarity, and condition of certain dates made them more valuable. Finding out that my set of lincolns was worth over $7,500 (a little more than half way through) , he started to look into coins. He's now building a set of 1965-1998 quarters.

Funny, he still sometimes tells me how he "can't believe that people pay that much for a penny.. A PENNY!" lol

I've been accused of driving collectors away with too many footnotes... :)

Well, what do you expect? I'd stay away from anyone who would spend their time writing little, tiny notes along the rims of coins.

Chris

The folks I got into the hobby just collect modern commemoratives and bullion coins. Nobody can understand why I would pay alot of money for a Silver Dollar (Morgan) or any old coin. When I show them what a 1943-D Bronze goes for they are speechless. Everytime a neighborhood kid has a birthday, I give them either a Morgan or Peace Dollar as a gift.. in the hopes of sparking their interest.

I am working on my daughter whose preference is for foreign coins, four nephews and a brother-in-law. So far the jury is out as to whether any of them have caught the bug! Almost all the coins in their collections are the ones that I gave them! I believe patience is the key to getting someone to truly appreciate this hobby/investment.

I am working on my daughter whose preference is for foreign coins, four nephews and a brother-in-law. So far the jury is out as to whether any of them have caught the bug! Almost all the coins in their collections are the ones that I gave them! I believe patience is the key to getting someone to truly appreciate this hobby/investment.

Now you have to slide an issue of Numismatic News in front of them..

A long time ago someone really took a liking to my coins, so they took most of them. They "collected" them all up, but I have forgiven them......MAILMAN

HUH? Somebody "removed without permission"?

No, but I would like to get one of my nieces or nephews interested in collecting so that I can give them my collection. The impression I have is that fewer people are interested in collecting today and I expect even fewer to be able to afford it at comporables levels in the future. Most people who are not collectors I think only express any interest because of the money and what they might be able to buy with it.

did your coin collecting cause someone else to become a collector too??

My lovely wife collects my paychecks. That's not to say I suspect there's a causal connection between that hobby and mine.

Not necessarily, anyway... :grin: