• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This seems suspicious

186 posts in this topic

nobody posting here yet has any affiliation with this website - just a group of collectors and dealers and interested parties.

usage of marketplace guidelines

many people would prefer to see an asking price before even contacting you, as most here are price conscious collectors, and if the asking is twice what they would consider paying, they would feel bad wasting everyones time.

so that is a mute point.

FYI, "moot." That's the term you want to use, there.

Thank You for your observation.

Actually, I wanted to use "mute"...like that button on your computer.

It was not intended to be a legal statement. The intent was factual noise reduction.

However, it is kind of you to consider another method on my behalf.

Oh, I see. Your statement was,

I have already found out about the Pittsburg routing, so that is a mute point

I just naturally assumed from that context that you were intending the term "moot" as a means of expressing irrelevance but because you rather didn't have that term in your vocabulary you resorted to the term "mute" because the terms sound alike. I didn't know you were actually intending to express "factual noise reduction" in that context, I just thought that was a dumb mistake on your part.

I will say, though, that is a very curious (as in, weird) usage of that term, "mute."

Thank You for your kind reply.

I receive the "weird" comments a lot.

I am very easy to get along with.

If it in any way assists you in relieving you of the burden of concentrating on my usage of the word "mute", you certainly have my permission to change the word to "moot".

I make a lot of dumb mistakes. I try to live with them.

Please follow me around the Boards and assist me in correcting my dumb mistakes in the future. It will help me avoid appearing to weird, and in turn I will try to help you not naturally assume my thoughts.

John

so that is a mute point.

FYI, "moot." That's the term you want to use, there.

Thank You for your observation.

Actually, I wanted to use "mute"...like that button on your computer.

It was not intended to be a legal statement. The intent was factual noise reduction.

However, it is kind of you to consider another method on my behalf.

Oh, I see. Your statement was,

I have already found out about the Pittsburg routing, so that is a mute point

I just naturally assumed from that context that you were intending the term "moot" as a means of expressing irrelevance but because you rather didn't have that term in your vocabulary you resorted to the term "mute" because the terms sound alike. I didn't know you were actually intending to express "factual noise reduction" in that context, I just thought that was a dumb mistake on your part.

I will say, though, that is a very curious (as in, weird) usage of that term, "mute."

Thank You for your kind reply.

I receive the "weird" comments a lot.

I am very easy to get along with.

If it in any way assists you in relieving you of the burden of concentrating on my usage of the word "mute", you certainly have my permission to change the word to "moot".

I make a lot of dumb mistakes. I try to live with them.

Please follow me around the Boards and assist me in correcting my dumb mistakes in the future. It will help me avoid appearing to weird, and in turn I will try to help you not naturally assume my thoughts.

John

And what do you call what you're doing, here, mocking somebody for gently correcting your grammar? That's all I'm seeing, somebody who can't take it when they're wrong.

I profusely apologize for offending you with any and all of my Posts.

I accept my turn in the pit.

You are completely correct in your judgement of me.

You need not use your valuable time to bother with me.

It is obvious that I deeply offend you.

I completely accept your description of your comments as gentle correction.

My Posts were rude and unfeeling and stupid and dumb and lacking in vocabulary.

I am sorry.

John Curlis

I for one LOVE John Curlis' style.

Me too, people here just need to have thicker skin, everything is not a personal attack, my god, these are supposed to be fun, if you don't put ant posts, you don't have to worry about getting criticized. Maybe that is the solution. Otherwise take a little chiding every now and then and let it roll off your back, even the real experts here get criticized and seem to keep going, Here is my words of advice, follow them and you cant go wrong.............."Don't sweat the petty stuff; Pet the sweaty stuff"

I am sorry.

John Curlis

Those are your characterizations, John, straight out of your defensive imagination. Let the record reflect, I never thought any of that.

EDIT: Tell you what, if you really feel that culpable, you're forgiven.

I am sorry.

John Curlis

Those are your characterizations, John, straight out of your defensive imagination. Let the record reflect, I never thought any of that.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

It is true. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

Then again, I am not completely without guilt in my attempts to be defensive.

You see, it started when I was a little boy, and my mother had a lock on the refrigerator door because she thought I was a fat slob, and since I got home from school before she came home from work, she....sorry, I got carried away with justifying my defensive nature.

Darn it, I hate that stupid Mr. Lincoln, I just hate him.

I know, it is a moot point.

I am a fat sorry bully... I am a fat sorry bully......I am a fat sorry bully.....

I wish I never went to catholc schools. Then I wouldn't be so inhibited, and everybody would like me.

I want to jump on the jump on johncurlis bandwagon, if you were a fat slob, no way were you little, and its Catholic, as opposed to catholc.........whew, I feel better now. haha........................did I do that right?

I want to jump on the jump on johncurlis bandwagon, if you were a fat slob, no way were you little, and its Catholic, as opposed to catholc.........whew, I feel better now. haha........................did I do that right?

100....I win.

nah, nah, nah, nah na.

100....I win.

nah, nah, nah, nah na.

After my last post, I feel bad, and dirty, like I need a shower, and I wasn't paying attn, I wanted 100, DANG

Yes.

Not bad, not bad at all.

I would like the opportunity, though, to defensively justify my use of the word catholc.

You see, I wanted to be an athiest, having read a forbidden (in our house) book, National Geo.

I could not escape my mother's evil plan to have the nuns break me of my dirty thoughts.

So, what I did was every chance I got, I spelled "catholic" as "catholc", to secretly rebel.

Then I started drawing picures of Lincoln reading National Geo in catholic school, and I spelled "catholic" as catholc" in these pictures, and..... well you now see the end result of my rebellion.

I am sorry.

John Curlis

You see, it started when I was a little boy, and my mother had a lock on the refrigerator door because she thought I was a fat slob, and since I got home from school before she came home from work, she....sorry, I got carried away with justifying my defensive nature.

I am a fat sorry bully... I am a fat sorry bully......I am a fat sorry bully.....

I wish I never went to catholc schools. Then I wouldn't be so inhibited, and everybody would like me.

Wow.

John, please have a good night.

Sincerely,

Kurt

I am sorry.

John Curlis

Wow.

Sincerely,

Kurt

I win.

Heres a picture of our office, and a few coins i had laying around.

I hope this helps some, I would really like to gain trust here, please let me know if you need any other evidence for me to post in the money market.

thank you,

dennis.

You have an 1839 gold eagle graded NGC EF-45 on eBay, and indicate that there is a CAC sticker, but the images do not seem to show that. Is the coin in fact stickered? Also, you list an 1856-S quarter eagle as graded PCGS AU-53, but with no images of the slab. I thought eBay required images of the front and back of the slab for all certified coin listings??

(I do not use eBay, but you linked your account in a previous post.)

"....but its completely off topic now....."

Then it worked.

You will always find someone on the Boards to assist with the small things.

I was happy to be of service.

Call on me any time.

Please be prepared for some individuals to continue with the original topic of the Thread, though. That happens sometimes.

I am sorry.

John Curlis

Wow.

Sincerely,

Kurt

I win.

I guess if you want to look at it that way, you sure did. You sure fooled me. I thought you were in trouble.

I'm just getting off work from what's been a long, hard week. Bartender, give me what this clown was drinking last night.

I sincerely apologize.

I admit to being a clown.

I do not drink.

Please do not drink and drive tonight. I do not want anyone to do that. It is senseless.

I especially don't want to be the reason for someone imbibing and risking their life.

Best that you ignore me.

I am not worth your ire.

Whatever the reason I cause your dislike for me is not worth your loss of self-dignity by lowering yourself to name calling.

I wish you well and no malice.

John Curlis

I usually stay out of these arguments, but this is getting ridiculous.

JimBucks in his original post said what many users here thought and/or were scared to say/ask.

I think it was a very helpful post (not that I was going to buy anything off of that list, but someone might have), and it was the choice of (strong) words that got people's attention and actually made them check into this seller and his credibility (and save them some time and money). Rather than being attacked, I think he should get credit for posting it. Thanks Jim.

While It is possible that some of his previous posts were just big unreasonable rants like some say, but it is no reason to ignore and attack all of his future posts, especially not one like this one. The teletrade phone number rant, for example, seemed reasonable to me, still receibed so many negative (and some insulting, even) comments.

By the way, Correcting a grammar error is ok, too, but I can see how it might be upsetting when you're UNDER ATTACK, literally, then the whole subject changes to a typo you made on one of your post, rather than the actual CONTENT of your message. I'm sure my post has some errors in it, my English is not perfect - have at it.

The post in the money marketplace in question looked very suspicious to me too, but I just ignored it and did not report it or made a post about it, but I'm now more than sure it is bogus. Too many comments to make, but here are just A few points I want to mention, after reading the comments here:

- I live in NYC and I do the Melville coin show twice a month, every 2nd and 4th Sunday, as well as the massapequa club-show (my partner will be set up there, next Saturday), so I'm familiar with the coin shops and dealers in the area, many of them I know personally. I know there are a few shops on sunrise highway by the Sunrise Mall, but I never heard about liberty coin gallery. Not saying it does not exist, just saying I've never heard about it. 

- people on the BST forums post mostly accurate Descriptions, serial numbers, photos of coins/slabs and prices on items sometimes with as low-dollar value as $20. There is no excuse for posting items for sale in one post totaling maybe $100,000 with no photos, no descriptions, no prices, and sometimes with 2 grades ("PCGS AU55" and then at the end of the line it says "AU53"). You would think If the seller sells a coin for $14,500 he would take the time to include a pic, or a little more information.

- including a phone number in the post means *fork*. There are so many apps on iPhone that can change your phone number. For example, when I post on craigslist, I use an app that generates a phone number for me, then all calls to this number are forwarded to my phone (to avoid spam calls and scammers). So that's nothing in the poster's credit.

- eBay account: first of all, the username "misspelling" is BS. I've been selling on eBay for years, and it is possible to change your username on eBay as many time as you like - up to 1 time every 30 days. So the username could have been changed easily (as he knows, too, as he already changed his user name twice in the past!!) see:

User ID Effective Date End Date

liberygallerycoins Sep-07-12 Present

djm631 Jun-28-12 Sep-07-12

themacattack321 May-27-08 Jun-28-12

My guess? Seller's trying to avoid a lawsuit from the coin shop/auction house he's pretending to belong to. You couldn't sell coins on ebay under  the name "HeritageAuctions" and not be in trouble, but if you call yourself "HeritajeCoins" they can't do a thing about it.

The seller has 26 feedback, only 5 of them AS A SELLER. All are in the $50-$225 item range, besides one that's a $750 item, AND THIS FEEDBACK WAS REVISED - usually means that a negative or neutral feedback was left, and then the buyer changed it to positive. Why? Who knows.

- trying to BUY a bank account? I'm not even going to comment on that.

- all the "michelle the salesperson" and "2 salesman alone in the office that couldnt handle a phone call" thing - again, not going to comment on that. It is easy enough to understand that's BS.

- when asked for a photo of his storefront and coins with his name on it, the seller failed to provide either. So many rare and valuable coins for sale - and his picture has a Morgan dollar, an idian head gold and a half roll of silver eagles (I think). As for the storefront/business card - none. A pic of a generic office front desk with nothing that identifies it as his store, or any coin store.

If there was any doubt in me as to if this post was fake or not, it was COMPLETELY GONE after I read the seller comments and ridiculous answers to the questions he was presented with.

If anyone trusts this seller enough to buy from, it is fine. It's their judgement and responsibility. If, though, I happen to see a post on the boards on how they were ripped off/scammed out of their money/got a fake coin etc, I will be there to comment "another useless rant".

This post is too sad, here are some dancing bananas to make it a little nicer:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

P.S if anyone would like to comment on my post, please answer to the point made above, do not insult me and just disregard the whole comment with a one-line comment please.

Thanks

By the way, Correcting a grammar error is ok, too, but I can see how it might be upsetting when you're UNDER ATTACK, literally, then the whole subject changes to a typo you made on one of your post, rather than the actual CONTENT of your message. I'm sure my post has some errors in it, my English is not perfect - have at it.

Fascinating. A "typo?" Is that what you call what that was? How does one type "mute" when one is trying to type "moot?" Boy, those must have been some flying fingers!

For the record, I didn't make a big deal out of that, he did. I didn't go berserk on him, he went berserk on me. I simply pointed out an obvious grammatical error in an effort to help him out in the future. Where that went after that wasn't any of my doing. The next time, having got the message loud and clear, I shall certainly refrain.

P.S if anyone would like to comment on my post, please answer to the point made above, do not insult me and just disregard the whole comment with a one-line comment please.

Yeah. Ain't that regrettably more often than not par for the course around here? Have a swell day.

Excellent post Yonico. I was tempted to do some snooping on this very subject but I got busy and forgot. I have over the years received many boiler room type sales calls from the NY Long Island area. I don’t think these guys ever cold called me but the thought crossed my mind.

Just to reiterate – I don’t think Jim Bucks intentions were bad – he made them with good intentions just not in a proper way.

I agree with Yonico. Im glad Jim pointed these problems out. On the flipside, I agree with Mark about the "verbage" used. This is a double edge blade situation. The pictures this guy posted looks just like my office.. I actually walked out of my office to get another look.. ha ha ha. There are too many shady people running around today. Last weekend I emailed two Ebay sellers who were selling the same coin, same NGC certified CC Morgan. They both emailed me back with some BS lines. After that, I reported both ads to Ebay and then these two boneheads sent me nasty emails. Its a shame that you have to walk around always looking over your shoulder.

WTG Jim, glad you got people looking into something that doesnt look right.

And if my grammar is bad, tough shiat.. I just woke up and have no coffee in my yet. ha ha ha

thats ridiculous, I can't type the word i*d*i*o*t but you get by with shiat.............................BTW, shiat is spelled with 2 T's haha

Dont be mad i have skills.. ha ha ha... And it only has 2 x T's in the South.. ha ha ha..

thats ridiculous, I can't type the word i*d*i*o*t but you get by with shiat.............................BTW, shiat is spelled with 2 T's haha

Dont be mad i have skills.. ha ha ha... And it only has 2 x T's in the South.. ha ha ha..

If you truly had skills, you would know its spelled skillz....rank amateur and your in kentucky, not exactly the deep south, yeah I know campbell is technically in tennessee, butttt.............