• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First NGC Post - I already know most of you!

10 posts in this topic

Geting tired of PCGS beating the hell out of my Lincoln's. Has Rick commented on whats the deal with PCGS and copper? I use to blame it on him but things have not changed at PCGS. All the NGC coins I buy are solid so I thought I would come over and check things out. Does the NGC registry take ANACS coins?

Welcome!

As I often say, there are good coins and bad coins in both company's holders. You have to evaluate the quality of the coin (and the asking price) and determine if it meets your own standards. Yes, PCGS is tougher - but are they fair and are they consistent? Yes, NGC grades to a slightly different standard - but does that mean there aren't great coins for the grade in their holder?

No ANACS coins, but I wonder if NGC shouldn't do what I suggested for PCGS - assign a "registry grade" for coins that don't cross.

TDN,

You lie. The great coins are all in PCGS holders. Just ask the kool-aid aficionados across the street. NGC? Poo. ANACS? Poo. ICG? Poo. ... ACG? Poo. (Well, this last one really is poo.)

EVP

Welcome clackamas. The most common b*[!@#%^&^] I heard at FUN was PCGS's grading. Not just from some dealers but also from some guys I know and saw the coins, which happened to be copper. I won't reveal their names but they were thoroughly disgusted. There was some joking about meeting David outside the Registry get together, when I offered to make that invitation for one of the guys, he quickly withdrew his remark. He knows me well enough from the boards to realize I would have approached him. laugh.gif Anyway we all got a good laugh out of it.

I saw one of the copper dealers get a bunch of bodybags back from them on raw submissions, can't mention a name, but trust me he knows his copper.

Welcome to the boards Clackamas! Sorry I can't speak directly to the insanity of PCGS' grading standards, but I can assure you that thing are much more sane on this side of the street, probably because there is more of a variety of beverages to drink besides Kool-aid. Hope you enjoy it, looking forward to your contributions!

Howdy Clackamas!

If you saw the 1963 PCGS PR70 DCAM that sold for close to $40,000, it's easy to see why PCGS is so tough on copper now. I'm sure PCGS was watching that auction closely, probably in abject horror, thinking about how big that check they are going to have to write when that thing gets submitted for a downgrade.

Andy laugh.gif

Android, David Hall mentioned that coin at the Registry get together. He looked at Rick Tomaska and said, that coin you sold for $2000 brought an amazing price. He seemed rather proud of it. Rick was just shaking his head.

Irishmike,

I talked with Rick Tomaska as well. I bought a very nice Washington from him. I think he actually made that PF70 coin. Again, much head shaking....

Andy shocked.gif