• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipped coins - the older the coin (type), the sillier it looks, if color-free...

34 posts in this topic

While this is a purely academic observation, it is entirely possible to have, say, an AU coin that has been cleaned in the past, that then slipped back into circulation, circulated down to, say, VF, and is now completely original...no quotation marks...simply by virtue of the circulation process.

Purely an academic observation, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. ;)

I was at an estate auction a couple of weeks ago where there was a 3 ring binder full of early Morgans. The person who had collected them apparently purchased them from a mass dealer like Littleton. In fact, nearly all the coins at the sale were encapsulated in a clear plastic bubble holder like you would get from Littleton. When I looked at the Morgans in the binder, they appeared to be made of aluminum...no color...no luster...no toning....at all....on any of them. I am no expert on cleaned coins, but these seemed pretty blatent to me. Even so, bidding drove them up above $100 each. I passed. They looked down right ugly to my eye.