• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about this medal?

8 posts in this topic

I posted this medal in a thread years ago. Someone found the old post and wants to pay me $120 for it. I thought it was only worth about $10 and felt it was nothing more than a crude copy of the much larger mint medal. It's about 1.5".

The guy tells me, I'm wrong but I can't agree of do that to someone.

I won't be selling it but wish to learn more about it.

Looking for the history of it and opinions on value.

Image_0377.jpg

Image_0378.jpg

This is a William Henry Harrison presidential campaign piece that is listed in DeWitt / Sullivan as WHH 1836-1. It is listed as part of the 1836 campaign when Herrison was one of the also-rans who lost to Martin Van Buren, but I can tell you that these pieces were struck after that date as well perhaps before it. The piece my collection was struck over an 1837 large cent with the undertype showing.

WHH1836-2O_zpsd0fb5fe9.jpgWHH1836-2R_zpse0710db8.jpg

You might be able to see a bit of the "7" at the end of the arrow.

WHH1836-2OUndertype.jpg

This piece is a crude copy of the medal that Congress awarded to Harrision for his victory of the British and the Indians at the Battle of the Thames in 1814. Here is an example of that metal in copper.

WilliamHenryHarrisonO.jpgWilliamHenryHarrisonR.jpg

Nice examples of this political medalet have sold for over $400, but your piece has some surface issues that would lower the price to $100 or so, wholesale.

I posted this medal in a thread years ago. Someone found the old post and wants to pay me $120 for it. I thought it was only worth about $10 and felt it was nothing more than a crude copy of the much larger mint medal. It's about 1.5".

The guy tells me, I'm wrong but I can't agree of do that to someone.

I won't be selling it but wish to learn more about it.

Looking for the history of it and opinions on value.

Image_0377.jpg

Image_0378.jpg

That's a copy of the original.

The original medals were 6.5 mm thick, and 65.4 mm in diameter.

Here are pics of an original and you can see the differences in the designs.

M0010.jpg

I know that one sold for $400 on Stacks last year, in Choice Uncirculated.

Here's one that sold on Stacks for $805 with BP:

Stacks