• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just hit the freekin jackpot on a trade!!!!!

30 posts in this topic

lol, sorry, I love teaser lines. Anyhow, I offered up a 1886 nickel with ED (environmental damage). I put it out there for a junk silver dollar or something. Anyhow, I got an offer from a guy who wanted it for a silver dollar and a quarter. I said, sounds good to me, let's go for it. I send out the nickel and he ships the coins to me. I get them today and lo and behold!!!! I'm a freekin millionaire!!

_MG_0477_zpsbd289953.jpg

_MG_0478_zpsf144c96f.jpg

_MG_0475_zpsbead3c24.jpg

_MG_0476_zpse8d49c4f.jpg

You should have also asked for a penny, a dime and a nickel and I am sure you would have rec'd a 1856 FE cent, a 1916-D merc and a 1913 V nickel. What were you thinking?

Looks like the mold the Chinese were using had some wear issues. That "Peace Dollar" has no lower rim and that quarter has the top half of the date missing.

But...........................they are shiny!!!!!!!!

doh!I can't lie..I had to laugh at this one. Who did you trade with?? I certainly don't want to trade with someone who will give me "copy" or counterfeit coins.

Also, Maybe the 1964 Peace dollar is a Pattern or experimental coin? :tonofbricks:

-Dave

I'm a bit curious about the trade details...

I remember the nickel you had, it was...well...rough to say the least, but were you aware you were getting these particular coins in trade or was it supposed to be an actual silver dollar and quarter?

If your trading partner sent fake coins, and this was not the arrangement then I think he should be making this right rather quickly.

I like 'em! I think you got the best end of the deal! ^^
lol! I think I might have! And no, I don't think they are silver. I weighed them, they are both within 0.3 of spec, which is actually pretty close, but the sound is just a bit off.

I'm a bit curious about the trade details...

I remember the nickel you had, it was...well...rough to say the least, but were you aware you were getting these particular coins in trade or was it supposed to be an actual silver dollar and quarter?

If your trading partner sent fake coins, and this was not the arrangement then I think he should be making this right rather quickly.

The deal was for a Silver dollar and quarter, not this stuff.

Doubt I'll ever hear from the guy, he only had like 16 posts.

Ah, I'm too trusting at times, but I hope the nickel fits in his album well.

they put a v in there for a reason that i cant remember right now. thats the norm for peace dollar. mark feld didnt miss this and i think he knows better as well :)

I can think of at least V reasons why they did it...

...maybe as many as X, if I think hard....

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best post this month :cloud9:

i would love the stander for educational purposes

the 64 peace $ is way cool and would actually make an excellent marker :applause:

Actually, I think they are both pretty cool. The trader did contact me, he said they were real silver but I doubt it. If nothing else I'll just keep the suckers and put the 16 SLQ in my album as I'll never spend 1k to put a real one in my album. They are actually pretty decent fakes. He says the 64 is an overdate, but I don't think it is. The cheek on Lady Liberty has mumps so unless they used a 21 to overdate it then it's impossible. I do not believe they are the Carr overstrikes either. The SLQ is Type 1 but it's not the type of 16, none of the diagnostics match.

I'm torn on what to do with them right now, they are cool, not horrible fakes, but they are fakes. Only time will tell what I do with them.

Ah yes....the 64 D Peace Dollar....that was to commemorate the end of the Vietnam War... They were just thinking ahead in 64...... :facepalm:

I thought the v was where the hippies got the peace sign for the viet nam war, they were thinking ahead too

You did make out well. You will never miss what you traded and these two new additions are interesting, Just look at the responses they garnered. For sure worth it, Cool

MJ

they put a v in there for a reason that i cant remember right now. thats the norm for peace dollar. mark feld didnt miss this and i think he knows better as well :)

In 1921 the US Mint released the Peace Dollar. The designer Anthony D'Francisci inscribed the coin with the words IN GOD WE TRVST. This was not a misprint or error, but a return to Roman style letters. The V was used until the letter U was introduced some time later. The word TRVST is evident on all Peace Dollars dated 1921 to 1935. The Standing Liberty Quarter, minted between 1916 and 1930, also used the Roman style of lettering.

RockMyAmadeus pointed this out already, but I had to reread it to figure out the secret meaning of his post

You should have also asked for a penny, a dime and a nickel and I am sure you would have rec'd a 1856 FE cent, a 1916-D merc and a 1913 V nickel. What were you thinking?

lol That's a good one...