• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend Morphy first auction is now online

12 posts in this topic

And I must say I am not overly impressed. There are some decent coins, yes. But there are many non-CAC coins, a handful of coins in details holders, and some coins I question as to why they were accepted.

The other thing is that their images are not the greatest. Some images I saw were not in focus. I would hope they would have better quality control when selling high dollar coins.

My two cents.

Ankur

Agreed, but it is a first attempt and appears to have been put together on short notice. Lets see how they do in a year.

I think it is good first effort.

What I do question is why have estimates, if the opening bid (reserve?) is higher - are they going to lower them on the floor if no bids?

I think it is good first effort.

I agree, much to my surprise. There's actually some pretty nifty items for everyone, except that I think the gold nuggets are a little odd. I went ahead and registered and might take a stab or two.

And I must say I am not overly impressed. There are some decent coins, yes. But there are many non-CAC coins, a handful of coins in details holders, and some coins I question as to why they were accepted.

The other thing is that their images are not the greatest. Some images I saw were not in focus. I would hope they would have better quality control when selling high dollar coins.

My two cents.

Ankur

Firstly, don't judge an auction by it's % of CAC-beans. For some (ok most) of the coins (e.g., the MS69FB Mercury dime) who cares if it has a bean?

Secondly, I think for a first auction the layout, website, and venue looks very professional. There's something to be said for that.

Lastly, I would agree that their images are not top notch. Many are out of focus and they could certainly improve. That being said, I don't think they are much worse than Heritage, Teletrade, etc.

There was no way that this auction was going to please the masses.

If many or most of the coins were of high value and/or CAC verified, many would have complained about that. And with that not being the case, many will complain about that, as well.

I'm not picking on anyone here, but rather, speaking in general terms, about the way such things typically go.

There was no way that this auction was going to please the masses.

If many or most of the coins were of high value and/or CAC verified, many would have complained about that. And with that not being the case, many will complain about that, as well.

I'm not picking on anyone here, but rather, speaking in general terms, about the way such things typically go.

Since I have nothing to complain about I'll complain about people complaining. :slapfight:

jom

Laura clearly stated that the first three auctions would be a work in progress. Clearly it is. The picture quality is already being addressed. The first PCGS auction in December should be 500 lots. Nobody will ever be happy no matter what. Same as it ever was.

MJ