• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHEN IS IT TIME TO SELL? posted by Wissahickon Collection

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How Do You Know?

For a number of months, I have been contemplating disposing of a large segment of my collection. Over the last 2 or 3 years, my interest in my Morgan Dollar set has waned significantly. The set has been complete for, oh I don't know how long- 5 years?; 8 years?

I ceased seriously looking for upgrade pieces some time ago. Seldom do I look at the set (1 or 2 times per year), and I stopped examining the coins for VAMS years ago.

As I thought more about selling, I viewed the set with an eye to which coin would I keep aa a token favorite from the old set. I didn't have an enthusiastic choice, and still don't! The thought of no Morgan Dollars in my collection doesn't render any remorse or regrets on my part.

Recently, I'm thinking a lot more about auction houses and dealers for disposal than I am about the collection. When I brought the set out of the bank vault 2 weeks ago, I viewed it more like a grader than a collector.

The signs are adding up: "LET IT GO!!!"

This is a beautiful collection that deserves passion and appreciation, not just careful storage and casual viewing!

I guess this is just one more phase in scultping MY perfect collection.

See more journals by Wissahickon Collection

Now.

What about channeling the money from its sale toward a new collecting pursuit? Have you considered a type collection? That will give your eye some variety!

You ask a very interesting question. I think maybe it might be a rhetorical one for you as maybe the actual question is the Bat Signal telling you it is time to move on.

I view all my coins as both a grader and a collector. It is my personal opinion when you are putting together a set as significant as the Morgan set you pretty much have to. If not you will be in a constant state of remorse or wondering "what might have been". Again, that's just my 2 cents.

I will tell you this, I have thought about selling my Carson City Morgan GSA set a number of times as I put it together. I blame it on the general "instant gratification" paradigm our society has adapted. "Slow and steady" has taken a backseat to "I want it now".

At the end of the day when I think I should sell the partial set and use the money for something else I look at them and fall in love again. That's why I keep them and will continue my pursuit to complete the set, however, the first time I look at them and don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling......auction house here I come!

Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend!

I don't know for you when it is time to sell, but this I know, that the vultures, including myself are beginning to circle overhead. The first thing I did after reading your post was to take a look at your Morgan collection for coins that I might want to add to my set. What I found was that you have a fine set that is a step or two better than mine, meaning that there are other vultures around the prey that will be elbowing me out of the running.

I'm saying all this in a round about way to say that when you do decide to sell there will be no shortage of buyers ready to give your coins a new home. Your question has raised disturbing issues in my mind about what am I going to do once I complete my own Morgan collection.

Most of the fun of collecting coins is the journey and once you get to the end of the road, then what? This is a question every collector must answer for themselves, and I am only beginning to think about what to do when I reach the end of the Morgan road.

One thing I do to break up the monotony, is to take a break with an easy to assemble distraction set like the IKE's I completed not too long ago. This of course gives me one more complete set that I will have to decide what to do with, oh well, I know I'm not ready to sell that set now.

Ultimately, I will go back to my roots of type set collecting. I almost never get bored with type coins because they are mostly about numismatic history and the variety of design over the history of our nation. Yes, there are some sets that I will only liquidate kicking and screaming. If you're interested I wrote a post on this subject some time ago and the link is below

Whenever you decide, all the best.

Gary

www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=7117

I don't know for you when it is time to sell, but this I know, that the vultures, including myself are beginning to circle overhead. The first thing I did after reading your post was to take a look at your Morgan collection for coins that I might want to add to my set. What I found was that you have a fine set that is a step or two better than mine, meaning that there are other vultures around the prey that will be elbowing me out of the running.

I'm saying all this in a round about way to say that when you do decide to sell there will be no shortage of buyers ready to give your coins a new home. Your question has raised disturbing issues in my mind about what am I going to do once I complete my own Morgan collection.

Most of the fun of collecting coins is the journey and once you get to the end of the road, then what? This is a question every collector must answer for themselves, and I am only beginning to think about what to do when I reach the end of the Morgan road.

One thing I do to break up the monotony, is to take a break with an easy to assemble distraction set like the IKE's I completed not too long ago. This of course gives me one more complete set that I will have to decide what to do with, oh well, I know I'm not ready to sell that set now.

Ultimately, I will go back to my roots of type set collecting. I almost never get bored with type coins because they are mostly about numismatic history and the variety of design over the history of our nation. Yes, there are some sets that I will only liquidate kicking and screaming. If you're interested I wrote a post on this subject some time ago and the link is below

Whenever you decide, all the best.

Gary

www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=7117

"I don't know for you when it is time to sell, but this I know, that the vultures, including myself are beginning to circle overhead."

Where are they at? Ive put all my sets on the block.. of course I want to sell each set together.

Hey, does anyone want to "vulture" around my collection? it's a step or two below most others. But it's kind of diverse and will hopefully fund my family's move to Pittsburgh. Except for about 10 coins, it is on its way out. Have lost the BURN!!!

Malcolm