• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone been looking for a nice 1950 cam half?

18 posts in this topic

If so, this is the coin for you. This is what I would call an exceptional coin albeit it's only a 64 cam which should keep the price affordable. Most of the 1950 cameos, even in 65 have their issues, weak mirrors, frost that just isn't full, but this one is a wow coin in my opinion and I look at a lot of cameos!

I'm not buying this one, if I were, I would have never put this here. I would on the other hand like for this to get into someones hands that will appreciate it.

Have fun with this auction.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3340&lot=1528#n

I agree with you that the cameo contrast is striking and very nice, but it is a PR-64, and there are some significant scratches on Franklin's head and little marks on the Liberty Bell that go beyond the level of hairlines. It would be a wonderful example for a collector on a budget who would really like to own a cameo Proof 1950 Franklin half dollar with remarkable contrast, but the defects should keep the price within reason.

Unfortunately it has been my experience that I have to go up the Proof grade point ladder to a high level (PR-66 or 67) before I'm really pleased with a graded modern Proof coin. The reason I am supposing is that at my age I've seen too many modern Proofs that did not have physical defects. I've been spoiled by their high level of preservation.

I agree with you on being spoiled, but if one wants a PCGS Cam Franky in 66 cam... they'd be paying through the nose! I believe that this coin borders on ucam and might be worth a shot at resubmitting. I know there have been a few in 64 dcam that brought in the 8k range. If nothing else, maybe a star and that for sure would bolster the level at which it will be seen in the collector eye. As for the lines in the hair. They appear to me to be part of the minting process. I'm not sure if they are original polish or maybe a repolish. I'm more used to seeing lines like this in the 53 - 55 range for repolish. If you could lend your experience on this I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks for chiming in Bill, your responses are always welcome!

I own a 1960s dcam franklin and its only proof64 dcam and it looked great to my eyes. I don't use a loupe to check all the defects though.

That coin looks great and almost dcam as I've seen pcgs dcams that looked like a cam.

I'm guessing this will go for abt 800-1000?

Previous 64 cams, that were not this good, have sold for $500 - $600. I would think your estimate is on as there will be many that will find this coin appealing.

Yeah, I need one, but one I can crack out and upgrade into my Dansco album. And the one I already have is about PF-66, though only light-cameo.

It appears to me the subject coin will not see a designation upgraded. The telltale spot for me is always Franklin's lapels, the little couple of triangular details at bottom right. If these are not frosted, the coin won't get ultra, again in my little experience.

As a CAM, though I think it's excellent!

BTW, the seller must have thought this coin was pretty special too as it looks like they put in a very high buyback number or however that works with Teletrade.

That is a nice coin and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I actually have a PCGS 1950 PF-65-CAM half available if any board member might be interested.

Thank You.

The 1950 PF Franklin in CAM are extremely difficult coins to find. I know, it was the last one to complete my set, and they do not come on the market very often. I happen to have 2 of them in PF-65 CAM. For those looking to put a set, the 1950-1953s are tough to find, and when in doubt BUY I am always looking to upgrade my collection of the CAMs.

Yea, but I like that one I posted at 64 better tbh. I wouldn't own that 65. 65 cams I wouldn't call rare. An exceptional eye appealing example of a 65, now that's rare. Jim, can you post images of your 50's in 65 cam here?