• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Living Thru Chemistry

11 posts in this topic

Somehow I just knew this is happening more than we would like to think. Yes, toned coins can be "pretty", but I will stay will my naturally toned coins (from long term album storage, etc) rather than these "Easter Eggs". Sure explains the explosion of spectacular toners out there.

from http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Rainbow-Toned-Silver-American-Eagle-Dollar-One-Ounce-Bullion-999-/120974862960?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item1c2aa9ea70

"Note on Toning: Toning is a coin collectors way of saying tarnish, just like rust on steel tarnish is a form of corrosion an alteration of the chemical makeup of the coins surface. Some toning can be Beautiful as pictured in this listing and some can be extreme and the coin considered damaged and not gradable by the top grading companies in the coin collecting hobby. This coin has been altered from its original mint state of blast white, It now has a beautiful layer of silver sulfide Rainbow toning on the surface. This Coin has not been exposed to any heat or harsh chemicals to obtain this toning pattern. It was created "Toned" by me Bphis for offer to you with my organic anaerobic digestion storage process. Looking for a certain year, pattern, or another type of coin send me a message and I will list you an item. Coin is raw and uncertified, Photos are the actual coin, no numeric grade is assigned or implied. Thank you"

:censored:

At least this seller was honest about what he had done.

organic anaerobic digestion storage process....

Hmmmm...looks about right for stomach acid and sulfur. Now, where did I leave those rolaids?

there are actually a few sellers on ebay who do that and disclose it, I have only seen listings with the ASE's though, not that I looked long and hard though. Hopefully they are not damaging old and valuable ones. Not that some ASE's are not valuable, I have a few myself. I can live with it if they limit it to bullion silver and disclose it

Hmmmm...looks about right for stomach acid and sulfur. Now, where did I leave those rolaids?

comment with drawn...decorum prevailed.

Two major components of the anaerobic breakdown of organic matter are methane and Hydrogen Sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide is a major contributor to coin toning.