• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC put a sticker on this thing?

53 posts in this topic

I've had this CC for quite a while and sit here and wonder why I bought it. The coin is ugly, so is the slab. The reverse is a train wreck. I personally wouldn't have stickered this thing. How bout you?

1884cccombo1.jpg

DSCF1845.jpg

I can't tell from the images, whether the coin is PL or not, but it certainly looks like a solid 64 to me. So, if it looks PL in hand, I don't know why you would be surprised that it received a sticker.

I thought your first images were of a 65 coin tbh. The full slab showed the reason it's a 64, there is a pretty nice ding on the upper cheek near the temple. From seeing many many images of PL I have no problem at all calling this one PL. All in all, I say Bean, green, but still a bean.

From the CAC site, if the coin is a solid for the grade, not low end for the grade, it gets a sticker, nothing about deserving anything higher. It is what they call premium.

I'll take it off your hands if your dissappointed. I think it's deserving of the grade and sticker.

I wasn't aware that NGC used to crack out the GSA morgans for slabbing.

You are the luckiest person posting here to get those gift grades and the CAC sticker. I'm feeling generous today and clearly you want to get rid of this coin in a hurry. I will offer you Bluesheet bid for the 84ccPL.

Educate me. Why should the condition of the Holder be an important part of the opinion of the 4th Party Grader?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Because it affects eye-appeal, which is a component of grading? ;)

Educate me. Why should the condition of the Holder be an important part of the opinion of the 4th Party Grader?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Because it affects eye-appeal, which is a component of grading? ;)

Thank You. That makes sense to me.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I realize the holder is a moot point regarding the condition of the coin. IMO the reverse is so ugly I can't believe someone in the coin industry felt this coin was worthy of a sticker. When they sticker a coin do the include eye appeal or just strictly the technical grade?

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I realize the holder is a mute point regarding the condition of the coin. IMO the reverse is so ugly I can't believe someone in the coin industry felt this coin was worthy of a sticker. When they sticker a coin do the include eye appeal or just strictly the technical grade?

The holder is a moot point. Regarding the reverse - apparently, those of us who have viewed the image and commented on it, don't find it distasteful, as you do.

Eye-appeal s a component of grading. So, apparently, CAC did not think the coin was unattractive enough to disqualify it from being solid for the grade.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I realize the holder is a mute point regarding the condition of the coin. IMO the reverse is so ugly I can't believe someone in the coin industry felt this coin was worthy of a sticker. When they sticker a coin do the include eye appeal or just strictly the technical grade?

The holder is a moot point. Regarding the reverse - apparently, those of us who have viewed the image and commented on it, don't find it distasteful, as you do.

Eye-appeal s a component of grading. So, apparently, CAC did not think the coin was unattractive enough to disqualify it from being solid for the grade.

NGCCAC V. PCGSCAC?? Just asking, just asking......

Respectfully,

John Curlis

CAC doesn't rate the PL designation.

Is this true? Then PL is not a component to the grading of a coin?

Then a CAC logo on a Holder that states the coin is PL would not be agreeing that the coin is PL? I apologize in advance, however, I am stunned if this is true. In fact, the entire point of a 4th Party Grader is illogical if what you state is true in practice.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Then a CAC logo on a Holder that states the coin is PL would not be agreeing that the coin is PL? I apologize in advance, however, I am stunned if this is true. In fact, the entire point of a 4th Party Grader is illogical if what you state is true in practice.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, please see the reply that preceded yours.

CAC ignores the "+" in plus grading (and I think the NGC star", but not designations such as PL, FH, FB, etc.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John, please see the reply that preceded yours.

CAC ignores the "+" in plus grading (and I think the NGC star", but not designations such as PL, FH, FB, etc.

Whew, Thank You Mark.

I thought for a moment that Logic had finally been defeated...

I'm back in business.

Thank You fro rescuing me.

With Respect,

John

Mark is right about the designations because if I have a proof 66 cameo franklin with a CAC sticker that would mean that CAC agrees its a proof 66 and that the coin is a cameo.

I've had this CC for quite a while and sit here and wonder why I bought it. The coin is ugly, so is the slab. The reverse is a train wreck. I personally wouldn't have stickered this thing. How bout you?

1884cccombo1.jpg

DSCF1845.jpg

looks at least a solid ms64 PL to my minds eye

My mistake, CAC does take PL and DMPL into consideration and have declined coins they felt weren't. They do not consider the plus grades or the NGC star as Mark said. Sorry for the confusion.

"I've had this CC for quite a while and sit here and wonder why I bought it. The coin is ugly, so is the slab. The reverse is a train wreck. I personally wouldn't have stickered this thing. How bout you?"

The populations on these is huge at this grade and higher, and frankly the PL designation is fairly common with this coin, I have had them and good luck getting an extra $50-$75 over bid for them from someone knowledgeable. One principle of coin collecting is to never keep a coin you don't like.

"I've had this CC for quite a while and sit here and wonder why I bought it. The coin is ugly, so is the slab. The reverse is a train wreck. I personally wouldn't have stickered this thing. How bout you?"

The populations on these is huge at this grade and higher, and frankly the PL designation is fairly common with this coin, I have had them and good luck getting an extra $50-$75 over bid for them from someone knowledgeable. One principle of coin collecting is to never keep a coin you don't like.

Nearly 85% of the original mintage was released in the early 70's and probably half are near PL, PL OR DMPL (DPL).I bet there is 100k in 64 condition, certified and raw combined. Nothing rare about an 82, 83 or 84 CC. Almost comical when someone is pitching how rare an 84CC is.