• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I rarely think along these lines, but some generic type coins sure seem cheap!

107 posts in this topic

Just heard back from Laura. She actually said she made a mistake in her Market Report. She is actually paying $13,000 for PCGS 67 CAC Saints. She doesn't have a bid on NGC 67 CAC Saints.

MJ

When 123 said an NGC CAC s/b the same as a PCGS CAC I'm sure he was meaning equal grade etc, this should be true, assuming that the TPG's are using the same standards, now if they are not, we as the buying public should be aware of that because it will change our buying decisions, ........

My perception is that NGC and PCGS do not use the same grading standards for all series. I believe that this can be proven by looking at the population reports (while not a perfect reference) for certain grades to see distinctions. Thus, perhaps through marketing, buyer's do not want their coins to be viewed as "overgraded" and this can then impact profitability upon sale.

Yes Newprepper is right, I'm meaning equal grade.

Now Catbert, since you mentioned it, if both companies are not using the same grading standards, then is CAC using different standards too when looking at two coins, one from each grading company and of the same grade?

Yes Newprepper is right, I'm meaning equal grade.

Now Catbert, since you mentioned it, if both companies are not using the same grading standards, then is CAC using different standards too when looking at two coins, one from each grading company and of the same grade?

CAC uses their own standard and attempts to apply it equally to both NGC and PCGS coins.

Just heard back from Laura. She actually said she made a mistake in her Market Report. She is actually paying $13,000 for PCGS 67 CAC Saints. She doesn't have a bid on NGC 67 CAC Saints.

MJ

Oh, the humanity.

The goal of the CAC was not equalize PCGS and NGC grading for the entire numismatic community. It was to create a market for better quality coins.

Some folks favor PCGS, and others favor NGC for myriad reasons.

Bingo!

MarkFeld, thanks for answering my question. So if CAC is using its own standard and applying it equally to NGC and PCGS coins, then lets look at this scenario:

Coin 1: PCGS MS67 saint green cac sticker

Coin 2 NGC MS67 saint green cac sticker

I know coins do not all look the same, for example some xf coins are crustier than others, etc.

If both coins got the green sticker, that means CAC believes they are graded correctly so they are pretty much equal coins in terms of grade right?

Now if someone wants to pay 13k for a pcgs 67 cac saint and another wants to pay 10k for a ngc 67 cac saint, the better deal to me would be the NGC in my opinion.

MarkFeld, thanks for answering my question. So if CAC is using its own standard and applying it equally to NGC and PCGS coins, then lets look at this scenario:

Coin 1: PCGS MS67 saint green cac sticker

Coin 2 NGC MS67 saint green cac sticker

I know coins do not all look the same, for example some xf coins are crustier than others, etc.

If both coins got the green sticker, that means CAC believes they are graded correctly so they are pretty much equal coins in terms of grade right?

Now if someone wants to pay 13k for a pcgs 67 cac saint and another wants to pay 10k for a ngc 67 cac saint, the better deal to me would be the NGC in my opinion.

I agree. But the person who wants to buy a CAC/NGC67 is likely out of luck. In part, because CAC currently has a bid of $13,250 for either NGC or PCGS examples that have been stickered.

And it should be a piece of cake to cross NGC 67s to PCGS and get them restickered and make a fortune.

And it should be a piece of cake to cross NGC 67s to PCGS and get them restickered and make a fortune.

I suspect that someone forgot to use the sarcasm or winkie emoticon. :D

From your statement that perception is reality, NGC is an inferior product compared to PCGS. All because of MARKETING?

What's this, propaganda?

-Mae West, My Little Chickadee (1940)

i blame the slab factories for all this by putting tons of overgraded and/or problematic/fixed/damaged/net-mystery graded coins in holders so it was necessary for top knowledgable dealers to say

hey

some same dated and same mintmarked coins all graded the same in same or different holders could be low end, solid, high end and/or even mistakes in holders for the grade

hence cac was started

To me and many other collectors of CAC coins, both PCGS and NGC are equal. But simply enough, you have to like how the coin looks! Ive seen many CAC'd coins in both holders that I did not like. But John did, so what does it matter? No one is forcing you to buy one coin vs another.

Mkman: I didnt start it in this thread! lol

Reading back this thread took quite a tanget from Mark's question when Saints were brought up it seems. When the Saints Come Marching In! :D