• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Know the Story Behind Hawaiian Coinage?

6 posts in this topic

I've owned this one for awhile:

1883hawaiiag03.jpg

I'm curious what the status of these coins were and if they generally circulated among the Hawaiian people and were they legal tender on the mainland?

Here's a link to the Hawaiian coinage history:

http://www.coinsite.com/content/articles/Hawaii.asp

Hawaiians have a tragic history at the hands of the 'white man', much like the native american indians. I have a good friend in the coin business that is native Hawaiian. The Hawaiian schools make an effort to teach Hawaiian culture and native studies to the children.

TRUTH

Thanks TRUTH. I appreciate the information and the link. It's interesting that out of a mintage of approximately 500,000 it is estimated that over 90% of the dollars were melted.

I still wonder though, as it was not stated in the article, if these circulated in the mainland U.S.

That's a mighty good looking AG03 there Pat! smile.gif I'm surprised that it graded so low.

Hoot

Interesting post and history regarding Hawaiian coinage. I was doing some price research on the dollar using Heritage's Auction Archives, and observed the following price ranges:

Hawaiian Dollar:

XF 40-45: $300-$600

AU 50: $500-$770

AU55-58: $700-$1300

I was only searching circ grades, as I'm hoping to acquire one for my collection, although I noted a NGC MS65 fetched around $13k and a PCGS MS65 brought $19K (a bit out of my price range!). Search the Heritage site for your own pricing data.