• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to support your shiny habit? posted by stuartt

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Does this sound familiar? "you buy one more coin this month and thats it you'll be sleeping with them!"

Unless you are independently wealthy the difference between 'ooo shiny I gotta have it' and 'aww I cant afford it' is frequently not very far apart. So what is a collector on a budget to do? Personally I use the culling method to build my sets and collections. I invest in junk silver and that has helped me to start a nice collection of standing liberty halves (I even have a xf 1917S OBV that I only paid 10.00 for) yes it isn't slabbed but thats the point. I have the coin, now as time goes on trading and selling you save enough to buy a better coin or you luck out and get a better coin. Then eventually you have a coin worth grading or you have the funds to buy a graded coin at auction. And you have had the joy of owning a coin that is on the rare side. So I may never own a ms 65 1917S OBV I still have the coin in my set.

Happy hunting and if you have any ideas on 'supporting your shiny habit' let me know.

stuart.

See more journals by stuartt

I started the "coin fund". Its a collection jar that I stuff cash into once a week. At the end of the year, you have "ooo shiny I gotta have it" money. What helps me is that when I deploy, that jar remains untouched for the whole year.. no temptation to raid it prior to years end.

I also cull through rolls of coins trying to get a full roll of each year. And as I learn more about grading my raw coins I will sent them into NGC for grading. as for the junk. I simple bag them up and take them back to the bank for more rolls of coins. they don't like it but with the money that go's through that bank on my part every month they don't have much of a choice. Its a love hate relationship but they'll get over it. W M Fielding

What helps me is that when I deploy, that jar remains untouched for the whole year.

If you reduced what you spend on cars, crotch rocket, alcohol, and women, (both kinds, illicit and licit) you would have plenty, especially when you deployed. Unless you are married with children, then you will never have enough. Been there, done that, still have the t shirt, holes and all.

SSG Newprepper Army................. wish I had all I spent on those things

Does this sound familiar? "you buy one more coin this month and thats it you'll be sleeping with them

They never talk back or start fights.............................

I buy and sell coins (and now notes) to fund my collection. I look for deals, and then use the profits to fund my habit ;) Its been fun, educational and very successful for me. I also just took on a part-time job, both to help out some friends, and to make a nice amount of extra cash :)

With two kids in college the coins in the jar go to paying for books. I sell coins and try to take one or two a month errrr year. Trying to get more into the collector area than the investor area that i've been in and move towards graded coins thanks for the advice.