• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Trade Dollar

10 posts in this topic

At the coin show last Saturday, I saw a stunning (to me) and affordable Trade Dollar in an NGC holder. But I knew that Monday, I had a large bid in on a Capped Bust Half that I liked in the Superior sale.

The dealer had made me a really good offer on the Trade, I explained to him my circumstances. I said that I would e-mail him Monday if I was outbid and see if he still had it.

Monday morning, a contact from the PCGS boards who had reviewed the Capped Bust material suggested that the toning on the Half was great, but that the luster was kind of dull. Knowing that, I decided to just leave my bid, and I ended up losing the piece by only $25. In a sale as furious as that one was for this stuff, I should have been outbid by a couple hundred.

I e-mailed the dealer Monday night, he still had the piece, I sent him payment, and got it in the mail today. Here's the obverse.

91301-trade_o.JPG.bc6c53e548c48f13b73d1b5d483587be.JPG

wow a really neat coin and scarce !!!!! many many eons rarer than a morgan in the same grade and a

totally undervalued sleeper

coin! the only demoninetized coin in the history of federal coinage and also reinstated as

legal tender by the coinage act of 1965/64

you really do not see many trade dollarslike this coin for sale and if you had to go out tomorrow

and find lets say35/ 50 of this date and around this grade for a small promotion i bet you wouild be hard pressed even if you

called every dealer in the country

sincerely michael

Sweet looking coin Keith! You will, no doubt, remember the story of its acquisition for a long time to come.

Hoot

Michael,

I agree that these coins are very hard to find. Most that I have seen in auction (unless they look like TDN's collection) are dull and lifeless, or overdipped. I have been looking for a nice TD to add to my Type Set for a long time.

That looks almst exactly like the 1878-S in NGC MS-61 that I used to own! If it is, now you have a pedigree.

Oooh, Strike One against this piece. It is in an older NGC holder (can't remember the label color right now), and I purchased the piece from Wynn Carner.