• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1807 Dime revisited. UPDATE ON PAGE 2! CAC'S decision!

105 posts in this topic

Putting this in a PCGS holder with no notation for the damage gives this coin more legitimacy than it deserves.

I hadn't thought of that. They should have coded it when they holdered it. Hell, they have so many damn codes. But, I've seen this overlooking of PMD just to get a scarce or key-date coin in a holder on their market, before. You ask me, it's a symptom of market grading. Think about it. With technical grading, we could hold their feet to the fire. With market grading, we kiss their feet. They say a scarce or key-date coin with PMD has sufficient demand to go on their market, it goes on their market. The technical graders don't buy it, but the technical graders are being phased out. To wit, here's the link to the coin glossary of this TPG that holdered this coin. Find its definition of "market grading." Now, find its definition of "technical grading." You can't, because the latter isn't even in this TPG's vocabulary. Well, isn't that expedient...

I have a few coins that I have been debating on sending to CAC. Fortunately this thread has helped me make my decision as I will not be submitting the coins.

The fact that this particular coin was stickered not only with damage but with a green sticker. Not a gold sticker which if they believed was a problem free coin it obvioulsy should have had. It has been clearly stated the coin is ef-au which is why I am sure it was submitted and purchased to begin with.

The fact that other coins are surely lurking with similar issues and the fact that CAC can not force you to remove the stickerand there are dealers/collectors who are discussing to keep the coins with the stickers is a big issue. I can see no reason to due so except for saving your wallet down the road.

You didn't know, before this thread, that CAC was imperfect?

And what about all of the (other) PCGS and NGC coins that aren't stickered by CAC, have problems and/or are over-graded, but which remain in their holders? Will you therefore not submit coins to NGC or PCGS, either? After all, they can't force the owners of such coins to remove them from the slabs.

Doesn't this stickered coin with obvious damage undermine the mantra of 'good for the grade'?

Yes, and that is why CAC bought it, to remove the sticker.

Couldn't they put it in a details holder? and regrade, buyback pay the diff, somebody would want it

Hopefully, that is what PCGS will end up doing.

Doesn't this stickered coin with obvious damage undermine the mantra of 'good for the grade'?

Not "good for the grade," jerseycat10, "good for the market grade." You missed it by one word.

PCGS says that coin trades in its market and price guide at VF-30, and CAC agreed. That's all that meant...

I'm new, and don't know alot, yet, but, the fact is, its a nice coin with a problem, its sill old, in great shape, and worthy of being in a collection somewhere, if Yuo showed that to 100 regular people, they would be impressed, hell I wouldn't mind owning it. One of Ankurs first posts on the matter was he didn't mind the problem when he thought it was a die issue, when it was discovered what the issue was, (allegedly) you'll prob never be 100% certain, his opinion changed, prob due to peer pressure. HE changed, the coin is the same.

This seem to be a rather large mistake. And CAC is supposed to catch those other coins (ngc/pcgs)

I was on the line and this helped my decision is all.

Anything wrong with that? I suppose you will let me know.

I have only sent 5 coins in to be submitted when I first began collecting and have only recently put thought into submitting a few others which I may not do. Partly for the same reasons.

This seem to be a rather large mistake. And CAC is supposed to catch those other coins (ngc/pcgs)

I was on the line and this helped my decision is all.

Anything wrong with that? I suppose you will let me know.

I have only sent 5 coins in to be submitted when I first began collecting and have only recently put thought into submitting a few others which I may not do. Partly for the same reasons.

Obviously, you and everyone else should collect as you please. I just don't understand your reasoning - companies which render opinions about coins are imperfect, so you don't have confidence in and prefer not to do business with them. But I guess that's my problem, not yours.

You have guys ATS making fun of Ankurs car over this thread. Yeah you look real legit making fun of someone for driving a Ferarri lol

Ankur didnt stir enough people up in his last thread, so he starts a new, equally inciting thread.

What's more, he proves that expendable income and CAC does not necessarily equal numismatic success.

What's more, yet another example of how net grading is bad for the hobby.

Finally, answer me this: You claim to keep your CAC forums private to keep it safe from pcgs reps seeing posts, yet, you banned me from your forum, for a post i made here. How is that not hypocritical?

I am admittedly not a mind reader. But I don't think Ankur meant to do any stirring or inciting with this thread. But rather, he was reporting back and providing an update on a subject that he thought would be of interest to a good number of forum members. And indeed, it was.

And I don't know that much of anything was proved.

I beg to differ. This piece was the subject of a thread on the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" area, and it caused a flurry over there. In the wake of his previous thread he darn well knew what the reaction would be.

Ankur didnt stir enough people up in his last thread, so he starts a new, equally inciting thread.

What's more, he proves that expendable income and CAC does not necessarily equal numismatic success.

What's more, yet another example of how net grading is bad for the hobby.

Finally, answer me this: You claim to keep your CAC forums private to keep it safe from pcgs reps seeing posts, yet, you banned me from your forum, for a post i made here. How is that not hypocritical?

I am admittedly not a mind reader. But I don't think Ankur meant to do any stirring or inciting with this thread. But rather, he was reporting back and providing an update on a subject that he thought would be of interest to a good number of forum members. And indeed, it was.

And I don't know that much of anything was proved.

I beg to differ. This piece was the subject of a thread on the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" area, and it caused a flurry over there. In the wake of his previous thread he darn well knew what the reaction would be.

Ah, so unlike me, you apparently ARE a mind reader. Congratulations on possessing such an amazing talent. (worship)

So, still no explanation for my banning from the CAC boards, without having posted 1 time there yet.

That sounds like a private matter. Especially because an NGC representative, Mr. Schechter, has stated that this forum is not the place to talk about that forum.